[Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
pere
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by pere »

Yesterday I made a new clean install of LM13 cinnamon 64bit. I downloaded again the iso using torrent source. I can say it works great unless I install nvdia drivers. If I use proprietary drivers, once I watch a video online, my system crashes and I get login screen as usual. At least I didn't have any more freezes. I am totally sure my problem is caused by nvidia drivers. For the moment I will work without graphic card.
This is my log for the crash.

Code: Select all

Jul 4 02:19:20 pere gnome-session[1587]: Gdk-WARNING: gnome-session: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.#012
Jul 4 02:19:20 pere mdm[1268]: WARNING: mdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting :0
Processor: 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz
Memory: 16425MB (1275MB used)
Resolution : 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer: GeForce 9800 GT/PCIe/SSE2
X11 Vendor: The X.Org Foundation
Audio Adapter: AV200 - Xonar STX
Audio Adapter: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by esteban1uy »

Just for curiosity, did any of the users having those freezes try LMDE + Cinnamon?
If so, did the freezes still happen there?

Ubuntu uses a patched version of Debian's Mesa library (Debian Wheezy, the same version LMDE is based upon). If there's no freeze in LMDE, then there's a chance the problem is something introduced by Ubuntu's patches.
And that's something not so difficult to revert!
Sorry, I only speak Spanish
gillmt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gillmt »

I moved to my LMDE box and so far have not had any freezes using Libre Office - which froze whenever i tried to save a document or scrolled through it and made using spreadsheets impossible.
esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by esteban1uy »

gillmt wrote:I moved to my LMDE box and so far have not had any freezes using Libre Office - which froze whenever i tried to save a document or scrolled through it and made using spreadsheets impossible.
@gillmt: You mean LibreOffice alone froze, or Cinnamon froze while using LibreOffice?

@everybody: Please, if you have the chance, download the iso image of LMDE+Cinnamon and give it a try. If there are no freezes in LMDE then we can propose a solution.
Technischer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Technischer »

freezes during Libre-office and the document viewer (evince) after klicking on links for navigatin in the document.

inxi -Fc 0
System:    Host: matthias-P35-DS3 Kernel: 3.2.0-23-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Machine:   Mobo: Gigabyte model: P35-DS3 version: x.x Bios: Award version: F6 date: 09/06/2007
CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2140 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 2560.052 MHz 2: 2560.052 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 210] 
           X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau) Resolution: 1600x1200@50.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: GeForce 210/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 295.40
Audio:     Card-1: NVIDIA High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.24
           Card-2: Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169 
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:1a:4d:55:52:66
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 610.1GB (1.4% used) 1: /dev/sda SAMSUNG_HD160JJ 160.0GB 
           2: /dev/sdb WDC_WD2000BB 200.0GB 3: /dev/sdc MAXTOR_STM325082 250.1GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 147G used: 8.2G (6%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 2.14GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   Error: You do not have the sensors app installed.
Info:      Processes: 136 Uptime: 1:48 Memory: 357.3/2012.3MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.33

kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

No freezes in LMDE using Cinnamon.
No freezes in Ubuntu-based LinuxMint 13 using Gnome-shell 3.4

Freezes occur only in Ubuntu-based LinuxMint 13 using Cinnamon.

Proprietary NVIDIA driver (295.40) used in all of the above.

MATE not tested.
Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Have been running the "cinnamon-nightly" (via PPA) for 3 days now and so far, no more freezing. I posted the specs on my Thinkpad R61 in a previous post.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Votritis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Votritis »

kmb42vt wrote:Have been running the "cinnamon-nightly" (via PPA) for 3 days now and so far, no more freezing. I posted the specs on my Thinkpad R61 in a previous post.
running the "cinnamon-nightly" for couple of hours and i have no freezing, i think this works for me! :)

Mint13 Cinnamon 32Bit
Pentium M 1,73Ghz
1,5G ram
Intel 915 graphics
Shadowfax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shadowfax »

Same here running cinnamon 1.4-UP3 for 3 days no freezing so far.
This is probably a stupid question but how often are these builds get updated
and are they automatically entered into the repos...or are they downloaded
from another source?
esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by esteban1uy »

Shadowfax wrote:Same here running cinnamon 1.4-UP3 for 3 days no freezing so far.
from another source?
Cinnamon-nightly repo updates... well... nightly!
Those packages are built every night from cinnamon's "master" git branch: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

esteban1uy wrote:
Shadowfax wrote:Same here running cinnamon 1.4-UP3 for 3 days no freezing so far.
from another source?
Those packages are built every night from cinnamon's "master" git branch: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Shadowfax - For the PPA that "esteban1uy" refers to, see the following post:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p593454

If that's how you installed the latest nightly build then it will be updated every day...er...night. If you compiled manually then the easiest way to update is by adding the above PPA and following the instructions mentioned in the link I posted.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Shadowfax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shadowfax »

Those packages are built every night from cinnamon's "master" git branch: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon[/quote]

Shadowfax - For the PPA that "esteban1uy" refers to, see the following post:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p593454

If that's how you installed the latest nightly build then it will be updated every day...er...night. If you compiled manually then the easiest way to update is by adding the above PPA and following the instructions mentioned in the link I posted.[/quote]

Ran the code in the link with no problem but got errrors trying to add the ppa to synaptic..
okko7
Level 1
Level 1

Post by okko7 »

Switched from Ubuntu 11:04 to Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 3 days ago on a MacBook Pro 7.1. Extremely annoyed by this bug with LibreOffice (I experience the system freeze not only with Writer but also with Calc, not tested with Base, Draw or Impress).

I went though almost all the thready (there are over 300 of them) and haven't really found what I should do and what I should better not. But it would seem useful to me to collect all the really confirmed information into a wiki page so it's easier to track down that bug. I'd be willing to help with that if others think it's a good idea and someone can create such a wiki page here.
archu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by archu »

I agree with okko7. Please consolidate and let us know what is the solution or steps we can do to prevent this. I am pasting the output of inxi -Fc 0 below

arch@arch-box ~ $ inxi -Fc 0
System:    Host: arch-box Kernel: 3.2.0-23-generic i686 (32 bit) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Machine:   System: Dell (portable) product: MM061
           Mobo: Dell model: 0XD720 Bios: Dell version: A17 date: 06/13/2007
CPU:       Dual core Intel CPU T2080 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (nx sse sse2 sse3) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 800.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Radeon Mobility X1400 
           X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x800@61.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on ATI RV515 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.2
Audio:     Card: Intel N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.24
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX driver: b44 
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: 00:19:b9:7b:97:1f
           Card-2: Broadcom BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN driver: b43-pci-bridge 
           IF: wlan1 state: up mac: 00:19:7e:8e:ee:56
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (4.7% used) 1: /dev/sda ST9500325AS 500.1GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 464G used: 22G (5%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 2.14GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 54.5C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 140 Uptime: 6:34 Memory: 524.4/2012.4MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.33
arch@arch-box ~ $ 

esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by esteban1uy »

okko7 wrote:Switched from Ubuntu 11:04 to Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 3 days ago on a MacBook Pro 7.1. Extremely annoyed by this bug with LibreOffice (I experience the system freeze not only with Writer but also with Calc, not tested with Base, Draw or Impress).

I went though almost all the thready (there are over 300 of them) and haven't really found what I should do and what I should better not. But it would seem useful to me to collect all the really confirmed information into a wiki page so it's easier to track down that bug. I'd be willing to help with that if others think it's a good idea and someone can create such a wiki page here.
Have you already tried any of the proposed solutions?
archu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by archu »

esteban1uy wrote:Have you already tried any of the proposed solutions?
I am not sure which one to try as most of the solutions come up with same issue returning.
some solutions look complex like installing specific builds etc.. which I am skeptical about doing as I donot have time to take back up of my data and experiment.
schendstok
Level 1
Level 1

Post by schendstok »

I also experienced random freezes. It mostly happened during high system usage (running a Virual Machine in VirtualBox and playing a HD video in VLC for example).
I run Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 32bit with pae kernel and a nvidia card.
After updating to the latest Cinnamon from the nightly PPA this problem seems to be solved for me.
During the upgrade the following 5 packages were installed/upgraded:

gir1.2-gdesktopenums-3.0
cinnamon
gir1.2-muffin-3.0
libmuffin0
mint-x-icons
muffin-common
esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by esteban1uy »

archu wrote:
esteban1uy wrote:Have you already tried any of the proposed solutions?
I am not sure which one to try as most of the solutions come up with same issue returning.
Well, a lot of users reported that (for them) certain solution was the definitive one. Just take a look at the last posts of this very thread.
archu wrote:some solutions look complex like installing specific builds etc.. which I am skeptical about doing as I donot have time to take back up of my data and experiment.
Nothing so complex that can't be reversed in seconds. For example, adding a ppa and upgrading some packages can be easily reversed using "ppa-purge" (with this little correction), or enabling and disabling java support in LibreOffice is nothing more than checking or unchecking a setting, or re-enabling MDM instead of another session manager can be reverted simply running a dpkg-reconfigure in a terminal...
Which are those solutions that you find so difficult to get undone?
KoHoSo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KoHoSo »

Like archu, I have been hesitant to try any of the various fixes that have been proposed. Once I understood how I could remove a PPA in case I no longer wanted it, I decided to first try adding the stable build of Cinnamon instead of the nightly. When I ran the update command, there was only one file updated and it was for Muffin. I rebooted my computer and went straight to opening some odt and doc files in LibreOffice that had previously resulted in an instant freeze-up. They openied with no problem and I was able to scroll, edit, and save as usual.

I wanted to go ahead and report this since it is some progress at least for me. I cannot say this is a permanent fix yet because, except for when I would try to use Libre Office, it can sometimes take hours before my computer would freeze. I will report back either after a day or two of regular use passes (which for me is to have Firefox, Chromium, and Thunderbird all open at the same time) or I freeze up again and then try the nightly build.

I hope that all makes sense and maybe even helps somebody. Thank goodness this thread is in the Newbie forum because, even though I've been using versions of Linux Mint since Isadora when I bailed on Wind'ohs, I haven't ever had to learn much about it because it has worked so well for me out of the box that I've hardly ever had to use the terminal.

I thank everybody trying their best to help out with this and Clem for keeping an eye on it as well.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
okko7
Level 1
Level 1

Post by okko7 »

esteban1uy: I haven't had time to try out any of the many proposed solutions/workaround yet for reasons of time. In any case, this is a bug that needs to be resolved in the standard Mint 13 distribution asap and to do this, I have the impression it makes sense to consolidate all the information in some place where it is not necessary to read through more than 370 forum threads to find out what can help and what should be done.

Does anyone know if it's possible to create a wiki page somewhere or are there good reasons against it?

Return to “Newbie Questions”