mint 13 vs LMDE

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
freeze
Level 1
Level 1

mint 13 vs LMDE

Post by freeze »

Hi guys,

I want to upgrade my mint 10 install to a new version. However I'm not quite sure if I should pick the 13 or the LMDE release.

One important thing I'd like to know is if mint 13 will get updates on Cinnamon and Thunderbird? I assume that is the case for LMDE since this is a rolling release.
Thunderbird updates are important because I share the profile folder with a win 7 install. To keep things compatible I'd like to have Thunderbird running the same version on Mint and Win7.

Greetz!!
ayonkhan
Level 2
Level 2

Re: mint 13 vs LMDE

Post by ayonkhan »

I think you should pick Maya. It will receive updates till April 2017.

Yes, Maya receives updates for both Cinnamon and Thunderbird. Well, the repository has the latest version of Thunderbird (version 12). And you can always use PPA to keep your software up-to-date.
=> FOSS Addict | Linux Enthusiast | KDE Fan
=> Linux Mint 14 KDE @ Desktop & HP ProBook 4530s
freeze
Level 1
Level 1

Post by freeze »

Are there any other benefits to using Maya over LMDE. I'm looking for a system whic I can use for a long time without reinstalling. 5 years for MAya is alreadyvery nice, but you can(t beat a rolling reklease on that.

I'm still fairly new to Linux, maye Maya would be better then...

Perhaps I should just try em both and see what works best.
squeezy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by squeezy »

I would also suggest Maya for you. Maya is a Long-Term Support (LTS) release and will get many updates over its lifespan. Do you have a preference for the desktop environment you use? Coming from Mint 10, I would guess you're using Gnome 2 right now. Mint 13 MATE would be the logical upgrade from that as the look and feel is identical. Its ubuntu base makes it very user friendly and ubuntu regularly updates major apps like Firefox and Thunderbird.

In the LMDE release, MATE and Cinnamon are both installed. This can lead to a little confusion for new users as there are some duplicated menu entries and other things that are inherent with multiple environments. The Debian base, although helped with Mint tools, still requires a bit more tinkering and know-how to tweak.
freeze wrote:Perhaps I should just try em both and see what works best.
That's always good advice!
axel668
Level 3
Level 3

Post by axel668 »

depends ... LMDE is (semi-) rolling, which means you can update it like forever,
and being based directly on Debian Testing, you are completely independent from Marc Shuttleworth's "evil empire".

on the other hand LMDE is lacks some of the Ubuntu polish in Mint13 (installer, touchpad, hardware support, ...)
Mint 13 also is 100% Ubuntu compatible (12.04), which means you can use Ubuntu PPAs and some 3rd party binary software
that only supports Ubuntu (true, most vendors support Debian, but EVERYONE supports Ubuntu)
“A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila” (Mitch Ratcliffe)
freeze
Level 1
Level 1

Post by freeze »

squeezy wrote:I would also suggest Maya for you. Maya is a Long-Term Support (LTS) release and will get many updates over its lifespan. Do you have a preference for the desktop environment you use? Coming from Mint 10, I would guess you're using Gnome 2 right now. Mint 13 MATE would be the logical upgrade from that as the look and feel is identical. Its ubuntu base makes it very user friendly and ubuntu regularly updates major apps like Firefox and Thunderbird.

In the LMDE release, MATE and Cinnamon are both installed. This can lead to a little confusion for new users as there are some duplicated menu entries and other things that are inherent with multiple environments. The Debian base, although helped with Mint tools, still requires a bit more tinkering and know-how to tweak.
freeze wrote:Perhaps I should just try em both and see what works best.
That's always good advice!
I'm definitely switching to Cinnamon, I think it looks fantastic and is definitely the way to go for mint IMHO. Compared to it I find that MATE/gnome 2 looks really outdated now.

Sure that thunderbird will get updates in Maya? In mint10 this wasn't the case, only firefox got updated. For thunderbird I had to switch to PPA from mozilla.

Anyhow, people seem to direct me to Maya so I will give that a try this week!
squeezy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by squeezy »

freeze wrote:I'm definitely switching to Cinnamon, I think it looks fantastic and is definitely the way to go for mint IMHO. Compared to it I find that MATE/gnome 2 looks really outdated now.

Sure that thunderbird will get updates in Maya? In mint10 this wasn't the case, only firefox got updated. For thunderbird I had to switch to PPA from mozilla.

Anyhow, people seem to direct me to Maya so I will give that a try this week!
Yeah, if you want a more modern look with essentially the same desktop paradigm, Cinnamon is the way to go.

No, I am not positive Ubuntu updates Thunderbird. This is my first time seriously trying out Ubuntu-based Mint. I've been a LMDE/Debian guy until now :D
Mister.T
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mister.T »

Disagree about Cinnamon. Mate is far more configurable IMHO. You can more or less, make it as "Modern" looking as you wish. My desktop doesn't look dated at all.
Screenshot2.jpeg
LMDE4
HP Pavilion 500-260ea
8Gb ram
AMD A10 6700 (3.7GHz) 4 core
Nvidia GTX 645

Return to “Newbie Questions”