Cinnamon Questions

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
adam22
Level 1
Level 1

Cinnamon Questions

Post by adam22 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:27 pm

Just installed Linux Mint 13 with Cinnamon. I've only used KDE or GNOME 2.x.x before so this is a bit different from what I am used to. Just a few questions and problems I am having...

1. The Calendar applet will not display am/pm time. I have selected that option, with network time, and continue to see 24 hour time format. This must be a bug?

2. How do I add my own icon pack?

3. How do I get more gtk or window themes? There is a link for getting more cinnamon themes but not the others.

4. How can I use compiz for compositing? The built in effects are not very good and are missing key features like wobbly windows and window previews (as far as I can tell).

Thanks for the help!

kc1di
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Cinnamon Questions

Post by kc1di » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:10 pm

Well not sure of the other questions
but #1 you go to preferences > Cinnamon settings > Calender there is a option to set you own calender settings.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:05 pm

#2 and #3 works exactly as in gnome2.x; #4 you don't! compiz is not compatible with cinnamon

[ bliss of ignorance ]

adam22
Level 1
Level 1

Post by adam22 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:40 pm

Time is definetly not working.

Icons and themes are dropped into /usr/share/themes or icons. Icons don't seem to render correctly for me but themes are. Time is jacked up and I cannot seem to fix it.

Jupiter_Spunk
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jupiter_Spunk » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:04 am

Just a note on 3. You can download Gtk+ window themes and install them by extracting the folder to your ~/.themes folder. Make sure they are version 3.4 however. There is a bug that currently requires that version 3.4 be used.
Mint 10 Intel Quad core, ATI 4650, 3 tb of storage.
Mint 11 with Boxee AMD64, ATI All in wonder pro 512mb.
Google, the new lifesaver!

mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:03 am

well the day does have 24 hours, so it's hardly a bug.... :D

anyway perhaps you need to change a locale setting.
i remember once i installed USA english and time and dates looked a bit strange in all programmes. but after switching to GB english, all is "normal" now...

A Future Pilot
Level 3
Level 3

Post by A Future Pilot » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:26 pm

You have to click on the actual time and date on the panel then go to settings.

Then click on the "Configure your own" button. Use that site to figure out how you want it, then post the code with the % signs in it to the place in the calendar settings :)

Return to “Newbie Questions”