Hi! I have just installed

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ornulf
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! I have just installed

Post by ornulf » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:42 pm

Linux Mint to my laptop. Mint because the Ubuntu installation locked up at the "who are you?" page every time I tried to install it :-) .

Without knowing anything, I now have LM Isadora xfce before me. Should I install a newer version and Mate before I go on?
If yes, will I have to format (install from beginning ) to make the changes?

Is there an easy way to get rid of all the passwords to get into Linux?

nice evening
ornulf

oobetimer
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Hi! I have just installed

Post by oobetimer » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:57 pm

ornulf wrote:Should I install a newer version and Mate before I go on?
No

http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php
ornulf wrote:Is there an easy way to get rid of all the passwords to get into Linux?
A bad idea .. :wink:

ornulf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ornulf » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:20 am

OK :-).

kc1di
Level 14
Level 14

Post by kc1di » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:48 am

ornulf wrote:Linux Mint to my laptop. Mint because the Ubuntu installation locked up at the "who are you?" page every time I tried to install it :-) .

Without knowing anything, I now have LM Isadora xfce before me. Should I install a newer version and Mate before I go on?
If yes, will I have to format (install from beginning ) to make the changes?

Is there an easy way to get rid of all the passwords to get into Linux?

nice evening
ornulf
give us a little more information about your laptop , what model, brand video card etc and we will see if we can get you up to Mint 13. which is the new Long term support version.
:) Welcome to Mint Bye the way!
And I agree with the other poster doing away with the login password a very bad Idea in linux or any OS for that matter.
poor security risk!
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:58 am

kc1di wrote:And I agree with the other poster doing away with the login password a very bad Idea in linux or any OS for that matter.
poor security risk!
I am not sure exactly what original poster wanted here, but i have no password on startup since i is a desktop and only one user on it. if this is desired i am sure it's an easy thing to do. Passwords for admin access remain. They are there to protect the user from malware (virus can't launch if it doens't know your password ;-) ).

if i had a laptop that i would use as portable maschine i would also encrpy at least home on it. and i would also leave the login password on.

Return to “Newbie Questions”