hey there, new to mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jewnersey
Level 1
Level 1

hey there, new to mint

Post by jewnersey » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:06 pm

hi folks.

i was running arch for almost a year but decided to make the switch because i was not dedicated to fully learning linux right now.

anyways, couple questions:

1. i hate having to type my password for every single change i want to make, how can i change this
2. i cannot delete files off of my USB drive (do i need to chown it)
3. how do i turn off the 'My Computer' icon
4. can i increase the panel size without changing ALL the text sizes
5. can't seem to find handbrake.. anyone?
6. last issue would be that i have to fn+f3 to start my wifi at every boot. can i just set it to auto at startup

and finally, any recommendations as far as apps, applets, extensions?

Thanks all.

minties
Level 2
Level 2

Re: hey there, new to mint

Post by minties » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:01 am

jewnersey wrote:hi folks.

i was running arch for almost a year but decided to make the switch because i was not dedicated to fully learning linux right now.

anyways, couple questions:

1. i hate having to type my password for every single change i want to make, how can i change this

menu->administration->users and groups. Choose your user, at "password: ask on login" click "change".

3. how do i turn off the 'My Computer' icon

Don't think you can.

4. can i increase the panel size without changing ALL the text sizes

You can increase the task bar size(height) without changing the text of the icons(which remain the same size) in the task bar. Is that what you mean? Right click the taskbar and click and choose properties.

5. can't seem to find handbrake.. anyone?

It's not in the software manager repository, so you will have to download it from the handbrake site.

6. last issue would be that i have to fn+f3 to start my wifi at every boot. can i just set it to auto at startup

The startup file is /etc/rc.local . If you can find the commands that are associated with the FN and F3 keys, I suppose you could add them to the startup file to be automated.

jewnersey
Level 1
Level 1

Re: hey there, new to mint

Post by jewnersey » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:58 am

thanks for the reply

i want the login at startup, but i want to have administrator privelages after logging in once, such that installing or uninstalling does not require a password per piece.

the computer icon can be dropped in cinnamon settings.

panel height can be changed in the themes .css file (mnaged to change a lot in here . /usr/share/themes/*theme*/......css
cant seem to increase the size off the launcher icons though .

fixed the wireless issue. for some reason it sees my wireless lan as eth1.. added sudo ifconfig eth1 up to local
spoke to soon, didnt work after reboot

Return to “Newbie Questions”