create partition

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
j2ld
Level 1
Level 1

create partition

Post by j2ld »

How many drive partition should be create before install mint os. please describe. thx lot. :D

Jix
Level 2
Level 2

Re: create partition

Post by Jix »

If you only want Linux, you can have just one partition, ext3 or ext4, set a root (/). Two if you want a swap partition for hibernation and sleep. Three if you want dual boot. I personally have two: ext3 for Linux and NTFS for Win7.

srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

Before installing Mint, you needn't, and probably shouldn't, create any partitions. The Mint installer can do that task. Doing it using the standard Windows partitioning tools is particularly risky, since those tools will convert from a standard configuration ("basic" partitions, in Windows-speak) to use "dynamic" partitions (aka logical disk manager, or LDM), which Linux won't be able to use.

If you partition manually, I recommend at least three partitions for Linux:
  • A Linux root (/) partition of 10-30 GiB, depending on your needs and available disk space
  • A swap partition of 1-2 times your RAM size
  • The rest of the available disk space as a /home partition
Splitting off /home keeps your user data separate from the OS data, which helps simplify some types of system updates and other changes. Mint doesn't create a /home partition by default, and it's not a requirement.

In addition to these, if you're dual-booting, I recommend creating a separate FAT or NTFS partition for exchanging data with Windows. This enables you to read and write to the data-exchange partition without risking accidental damage to the Windows C: partition, which could happen because of user error or a driver bug if you mount Windows' C: partition read/write in Linux on a regular basis.

j2ld
Level 1
Level 1

Post by j2ld »

thx jix, srs5694. that is very help for me. thx...thx..thx.. :P

Return to “Newbie Questions”