Help installing Linux Mint 13 (Cinammon)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
dudeofx
Level 1
Level 1

Help installing Linux Mint 13 (Cinammon)

Post by dudeofx » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:34 am

I just need a slight bit of help. I've read through all the guides that are recommended, I've watched a few outdated tutorials, and I've tried to follow the main guide for installation, but I keep encountering this page.Image, which the guide tells me nothing about. I'm trying to dual boot my Windows 7 with Linux Mint, but I really don't want to break anything on my first go, especially not overwriting windows in any way. If anyone could give me help on how to dual boot at this screen, I'd greatly appreciate it.

dudeofx
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Help installing Linux Mint 13 (Cinammon)

Post by dudeofx » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:20 am

Anybody? Please?

mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:56 am

what is dev/loop? some virtual device?

Anyway you want a dual boot...

in Windows create an empty partition (no filesystem) and then on install select to install on the empty disk space. That should create a nice dual boot.

Hard to say what you are doing in your instalation.

oh if you already have an empty disk partition (no data+unformatted disk space) then you can find it at this screen and install to it. Only i can't see it on your screenshot.

oobetimer
Level 7
Level 7

Post by oobetimer » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:30 pm

You are trying mint4win installation, which installs Mint inside windows. It works almost the same way as normal installation, bit it has its limitations (room, speed?, unknown problems?). Mint4win is good for testing, but real installation goes something like on the next video .. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9S77a62RDQ&feature=plcp

Mint4win tutorial : http://translate.google.fi/translate?sl ... int4win%2F

Return to “Newbie Questions”