SOLVED: Upgraded to Mint 13, now / partition is too small

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
agoldenquill
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED: Upgraded to Mint 13, now / partition is too small

Post by agoldenquill » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:10 am

I followed Clem's instructions http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2 on how to upgrade to a newer release of Mint, upgrading from Mint 7 to Mint 13. I selected my Mint partition, which was set up at 10GB, for the install. My /home partition was not touched.

So now I have a very tiny Home folder on the new Mint, while over on the other partition all my data is still intact but not connected to my Home folder in Maya. I can get to it, but it's like a separate drive. I need to repartition, AND figure out how to not make the same mistake when I upgrade my netbook to Mint 13.

I'm posting this here because even though I've used Mint for several years, I get lost in all the techie-speak, so plain English would be really helpful.

This is an old Acer Aspire 5610Z, 160GB HDD, 1GB DDR2.

I'm attaching screenshots for clarity. Note in the Desktop .png, it looks like I have an external drive with 148GB --- that's the remainder of my hard drive. There are NO external drives of any kind attached to this machine at this time (no USBs, nothing).

Home folder.png is of the new Mint 13 home folder, with nothing in it.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
EDIT: Scroll down for resolution to this issue (how it worked for me).
Attachments
Previous home folder with all data - renamed by Mint with long complex name
Previous home folder with all data - renamed by Mint with long complex name
Screenshot-4e0f5587-4dcc-43eb-b622-18b6186334ca.png (52.12 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
Home folder.png - Mint 13
Home folder.png - Mint 13
Home folder.png (99.06 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
Desktop.png
Desktop.png
Desktop.png (273.45 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
Last edited by agoldenquill on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Upgraded to Mint 13, now / partition is too small

Post by mastablasta » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:28 am

you would have to tell it where the real (old) /home is. i think this is explained in the post about creating separate home partition.

agoldenquill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by agoldenquill » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:17 am

mastablasta wrote:you would have to tell it where the real (old) /home is. i think this is explained in the post about creating separate home partition.
Okay, I'll check for a separate post. However, "you would have to tell it where the real (old) /home is" doesn't tell me much. Tell it how? (I'm assuming I don't just sit in front of the computer and say out loud, "Hey, computer, the old /home folder is over there.")

I do happen to be quite tech-savvy, as an end user, so I know that "tell it" means to either give the system commands, likely via the terminal, and/or point it in some way to the correct folder. I am, however, trying to steer this post towards *newbies* (thus posting in this forum) because despite the fact I love Linux Mint dearly, I have been very frustrated from the beginning by experienced users rattling off some seemingly simple reply that we noobs just don't understand. (Remember, someone coming from Windows is not going to automatically know what a terminal is, or how to enter commands in it, etc.)

BTW, it would be super helpful if links to any posts referenced here were included in the response post, for clarity's sake. :D

ALSO -- This response does not address how to avoid making the same error with the upgrade on my netbook. The reason I say this is because I did in fact run into this before, at my initial Mint install (which was several years ago, so I don't remember how it was resolved -- else I wouldn't be posting here now). Back then, I installed according to instructions, then discovered my "hard drive" was "out of space" because too little had been allocated. I just remember having to jump through a buncho hoops trying to repartition it properly. I'd really like to avoid all that rigmarole this go-'round. Tx.

p.s. I originally created the /home partition because I wanted to be able to upgrade just the OS system files without losing my data or having to re-copy it to the drive, etc. That seems to have partially worked here, as the data is still there, but separated across this partition-chasm. We discovered this last night when trying to install a trial game and it displayed an error saying there wasn't enough space to install. Wha???? That's when I went looking and found the allocation problem described above.

mintybits
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mintybits » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:05 pm

I think what you need to do is mount your old home partition filesystem as /home in your new Mint 13 root filesystem. Then Mint 13 will use the home partition filesystem as /home.

This is fairly simple. All the filesystem mounting that is done automatically at boot time is defined in the file /etc/fstab.
You need to edit this file and add an entry to mount your old home partition at /home.
Before you do this you need to identify the UUID of the old home partition filesystem. To do this, run
sudo blkid

Then add a mount directive to fstab. Your fstab should end up looking something like this. Insert the proper UUID and choose the filesystem type of your old home, I'm assuming it is ext4.

Code: Select all

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system>                                    <mount point>   <type>    <options>                   <dump>  <pass>
proc                                                 /proc           proc      nodev,noexec,nosuid         0       0
# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=014f2bd7-fc54-43b7-a067-77a42cacedc4            /               ext4      errors=remount-ro           0       1
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=ad003f82-d810-4131-81ad-250f6a6fb56a            none            swap      sw                          0       0

UUID=01234567-89ab-cdef-0123-456789abcdef            /home           ext4      defaults                    0       1
Then reboot and /home should be your old home.

Nevart
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nevart » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:26 pm

You can avoid this problem in the future by setting up all the partitions manually. For the home partition you tell it to mount your old home partition instead of creating a new one. What happened during your install is it created a new home partition and treats your old one just as some other ordinary partition with no special status. Also you should have the same user name as before, and you may have to "give yourself permission" to access your old files. That's cool as long as you have given that user admin rights (otherwise it won't work). Fastest way to do this is with chown.

If you reinstall and set up everything manually (you will make a backup of course!) then you should be able to fix the problem. Just remember to mount the desired home partition to /home and it will work. Confusing at first until you see the little dropdown box asking you for mount point for the selected partition, then it is easy to work out what to do. Most people don't see it there or are not brave enough to try manual partitioning! And it is scary until you get used to doing it, but after a few times you won't even blink.

agoldenquill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by agoldenquill » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:53 pm

Awesome, Nevart! That sounds like a plan...have to try it out.

I did a lot of partitioning stuff before, following people's suggestions, Linux how-to books,etc., but as I say, that was like 4 yrs ago and I don't remember what I did. Also, that was a brand-new install, coming from years of Windows, which is how I ended up with a dedicated Linux laptop (managed to wipe out my Windows partition, when I wanted dual boot).

This is my "test" machine, so if I screw things up somehow, all is not lost. I backed up all my actual files (docs, music, vids, etc.) to DVD, just in case things go awry. I do *not* want that to happen with my netbook, though, as it would be a real pain. (I'm still backing up all my files externally on the netbook, for "worst case scenario.")

What I'm hoping is to figure out exactly the steps to follow, then write them out clearly so I can remember for next time. I used to be a technical writer for IBM, so I can write the procedure step by step including screenshots -- then maybe I'll post it online somewhere so others noobs can avoid the pitfalls I've fallen into!

As they say, it's easy once you know how. :?

agoldenquill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by agoldenquill » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:56 pm

Here's a screenshot of my current partitioning, no changes made (yet).
Attachments
Partitioning Screenshot.png
Partitioning Screenshot.png (178.67 KiB) Viewed 1100 times

agoldenquill
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED Re: Upgraded to Mint 13, now / partition is too small

Post by agoldenquill » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:38 pm

It worked!

I reinstalled Maya, using the following settings:

/dev/sda swap 1998 MB
/dev/sda5 10001 MB ext4, Format Yes, mount point /
/dev/sda6 148038 MB (the remainder of my hard drive) ext4, NO format (so I wouldn't lose my data), mount point /home

Device for bootloader installation: Left this on the default setting, which was /dev/sda

When the install finished, my home folder was now there, with all my files and showing the remainder of my hard drive space (119GB free). Woo-hoo!

Hope this helps other newbies to upgrade their system without overwriting their data. I *did* backup all my files to an external source prior to trying this, so if worse came to worse I could just start with a clean reformat of everything and then copy over my files. Fortunately, that wasn't necessary. :)

Happy, happy, joy, joy! :D

mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Re: SOLVED: Upgraded to Mint 13, now / partition is too smal

Post by mastablasta » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:52 am

ok how is that simpler than typing (copying) a command into terminal and then copying a line from the terminal output into fstab and then reboot? it's 3 step procedure.

Install itself take about half hour (even more if conneciton is slow) and then the updates...

what i am saying is - if you are going to write a how to make sure you include both options. :wink:

agoldenquill
Level 1
Level 1

Post by agoldenquill » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:34 pm

mastablasta wrote:ok how is that simpler than typing (copying) a command into terminal and then copying a line from the terminal output into fstab and then reboot? it's 3 step procedure.

Install itself take about half hour (even more if conneciton is slow) and then the updates...

what i am saying is - if you are going to write a how to make sure you include both options. :wink:
Sorry, I don't know how to "copy/type a command into terminal, then copy a line from the terminal output into fstab and then reboot," and that's not the method for upgrading outlined by Clem (see link in my original post above).

Anyway, this isn't a "how to" -- it's a "how I (essentially a newbie) did it to fill in the blank that Clem's instructions didn't cover."

As I said before, my post was to the NEWBIE forum because I'm not fluent in Linux-speak. I'm sure there are other Windows-defectors like me who don't know all the "fstab" (whatever that is) lingo & commands, but are upgrading their Mint install via LiveCD/USB and using Clem's upgrade instructions. Apologies I'm not yet a Linux-guru. (If I were, this post would be in a different forum.)

mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:35 am

well what mintybits posted is logical and makes sense. doens't seem tood difficult for newbie to follow (unlike in windows here you can copy & paste commands into terminal).

fstab is a configuration file. one of many in linux.
The fstab file typically lists all available disks and disk partitions, and indicates how they are to be initialized or otherwise integrated into the overall system's file system. fstab is still used for basic system configuration, notably of a system's main hard drive and startup file system, but for other uses has been superseded in recent years by automatic mounting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fstab

The idea mintybits posted was to:
1. identify (locate) where on the disk is home partition (UUID)
2. tell the system in config file (fstab) where it is so it will know on boot using informaiton from item 1.

Makes sense doesn't it?

your method works as well (as do probably a few others), however it is a bit longer. :D

Return to “Newbie Questions”