few questions if you dont mind [SOLVED] Thanks!!!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
rob1980
Level 1
Level 1

few questions if you dont mind [SOLVED] Thanks!!!

Post by rob1980 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:18 pm

Hi all,

My first post, so Hi :)

Im new to linux to be honest..

I installed ubuntu once, but rarely used it.

Recently I got sick of windows, and decided to give linux another go.

So, Ive forced myself this time, removed windows completely.

I'd juts like to ask a couple of questions that I can find some answers to, but not all apply to me, or maybe Ive misunderstood.

Partitions..

(im currentlylooking on gparted, looks slightly different to how i rememeber doing it, but must be the same)

Im running mint Cinnamon.

I have installed linux swap on /dev/dsa1 8gb (4gb ram)

/dev/dsa2 Extended 365.16Gb
-
/dev/dsa5 ext4 mount point / 18.62Gb (mint OS?)
/dev/dsa6 ext4 mount point /home 346.53

I also have a 1.5Tb hdd in ntfs filesystem (nearly full)
and a 60Gb hdd not formatted or being used yet.

So my questions (please bare with me, my partitions on windows were horrible, im a noob with linux, but desperate to get it right and enjoy the Os this time!)

Ive since read that splitting the swap drive over different hard drives would be better, is this a massive difference, can it be done at the stage im at already, post install?

If I wanted to remove mint, and re-install, would I format dsa5? what would be saved on home, all of my applications etc, would they still all run as normal as if nothing had changed? (obviously I would make sure any documents or anything i wanted to keep was not on dsa5 in this case)

Is the 60gb hdd of any use, should I have installed linux on that instead of the same one with partitions as home?

Can I swap ntfs to ext4 without loss of data? If not, can I set mint to mount the drive upon startup? (its all media files)

I'm starting to get used to the feel, the layout and using terminal on linux (terminal is my biggest challenge!) these few questions I have are little things playing on my mind though lol...

I have a million questions, but I'll continue reading and playing as I have been and only ask when I'm pretty stuck.

I did read something about not updating as soon as update manager says something is available? windows habit I guess, I was updating that daily i think, putting all my faith in bill gates and crew, should I avoid updates unless I have particular problems?

Thanks all, sorry its so many questions, im reading, im trying to take it all in, but worried about getting too far into it to find i need to start over due to messing up at the start.

Thanks again

Rob
Last edited by rob1980 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hellfire695
Level 3
Level 3

Re: few questions if you dont mind

Post by hellfire695 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:12 pm

to answer you.
putting your swap across multple drive will be a pain the ass, probably wont do much good, in keep it simple stupid (KISS)
and you can't do it post install. not a good idea anyway

on your second question. yes that pretty much right your apps will work mostly the same

of course the extra hd is useful, extra harddrives are always useful if you have the space in the case.
but there is no sense in using as a os drive, however will make a good back up drive.

also no if your reformat that drive to ext4 the (1.5)t it will erase all the data and makemost likely unrecoverable.

lastly i don't where you read that. but they make updates for a reason, you should always keep your system update.

rob1980
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rob1980 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:18 am

Thanks for the reply, cant remember where i read about the updates, somebody mentioned it and a comment about windows users constantly clicking updates was said (might not have been these forums, Ive been reading so much in so many places these last few days....)

If I cant convert ntfs to ext4 without data loss, what about the OS mounting it upon startup, would this be possible?

The reason I ask is that I use altbinz as my newsreader, and I like to use a download folder and temp folder on the bigger hdd, currently each time i start altbinz and the pc has been restarted it cannot find the drive if I have forgotten to mount it..

Cheers

wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Post by wayne128 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:36 am

Can I swap ntfs to ext4 without loss of data? If not, can I set mint to mount the drive upon startup? (its all media files)
rob1980 wrote: If I cant convert ntfs to ext4 without data loss, what about the OS mounting it upon startup, would this be possible?
I see no reason to convert ntfs formatted partition to ext partition, if that partition is just holding DATA..
ALmost all Linux OS I used for last two years can access ntfs partition without me doing anything more than just click the partition and directly access to it.

Yes you can mount ntfs partition upon start up. there are many tutorial on this.

However, I do not bother it, because I simply click the partition, and click its folder and access the folder.
If you think you can forget where is the folder or data partition, then just give it a Label and choose a name you never forget, such as

Data partition
Data common
ntfs data

whatever. when you boot up Linux, on any file manager, you should see that Label shows up .

mintybits
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mintybits » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:07 am

rob1980 wrote:My first post, so Hi :)
Hi, welcome.
I have installed linux swap on /dev/dsa1 8gb (4gb ram)
You don't need more than 4GB of swap.
Ive since read that splitting the swap drive over different hard drives would be better, is this a massive difference, can it be done at the stage im at already, post install?
Better how? Stick with one swap. You certainly can add/change swap partitions after installation but it is not easy.
If I wanted to remove mint, and re-install, would I format dsa5? what would be saved on home, all of my applications etc, would they still all run as normal as if nothing had changed? (obviously I would make sure any documents or anything i wanted to keep was not on dsa5 in this case)
If you removed/erased your root partition and reinstalled, you would lose any applications you had added and any system-wide configurations you had changed. This is a pain and I recommend you keep track of changes you've made. Once you've reinstalled those apps and made the config changes it will work as before.
Is the 60gb hdd of any use, should I have installed linux on that instead of the same one with partitions as home?
There is no should or should not. Up to you how you use your available disk space. Also depends on speed of 60GB disk if you care about performance.
Yes and yes.
I did read something about not updating as soon as update manager says something is available?
You would need to have a special reason not to do a particular update, so always update by default.

rob1980
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rob1980 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:29 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone, really appreciate it.

?Taken note on everything you have all said :)

My issue was never with my media hdd being ntfs, more the fact linux treats it as an external device, and it has to be manually mounted (or not as the case may be, somethnig for me to research further)
Yes its a simple case of clicking on it, but the hdd is there for me to access it, why wouldnt i want it accessible all of the time from teh when the pc starts up?

As I said, I use altbinz, and everytime i restart my pc that reverts back to a download folder in the /home directory, Not a major issue i guess, I just like to keep all my media on a separate hdd, without the need to transfer it after downloading (files 20Gb and more..)

Thanks again for all the replies, Ill read up on enabling my other drive at startup, other than that, I think I got the partitions right.

Rob

Return to “Newbie Questions”