How do I use Alien to convert .rpm files

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
mach1
Level 1
Level 1

How do I use Alien to convert .rpm files

Post by mach1 »

I am running mint 13 MATE 64-bit. I have managed to install Lightscribe software and Sample Labeler and all works fine, however i would like to use LaCie's labeling application. The application only comes in an .rpm. How do I use Alien to convert this to .deb?

LaCie link: http://www.lacie.com/download/drivers/L ... 0Linux.rpm
oobetimer

Re: How do I use Alien to convert .rpm files

Post by oobetimer »

mach1 wrote:I am running mint 13 MATE 64-bit. I have managed to install Lightscribe software and Sample Labeler and all works fine, however i would like to use LaCie's labeling application. The application only comes in an .rpm. How do I use Alien to convert this to .deb?

LaCie link: http://www.lacie.com/download/drivers/L ... 0Linux.rpm
1. Open terminal and go to the rpm-package folder
cd /path/package.rpm
2. Make a deb-package
sudo alien --to-deb package.rpm

A video about alien: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfviWP5ZkWA&feature=plcp
mach1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mach1 »

Thanks for your response but I can't seem to get it to work. I created a folder to put the .rpm file into, then run the commands but it says the file "LaCie" can't be found.
Am I missing something? Is it possible that it just doesn't work with this particular file?
HughT
Level 5
Level 5

Post by HughT »

hi mach1, did you change directory cd so that you were in that new folder before running alien? For example, if you made a new folder in Documents/Software/RPM_packages, you use

Code: Select all

cd Documents/Software/RPM_packages
You can check you're in the right place and that your rpm file is there with the simple command

Code: Select all

ls
hope this helps, regards
Please Edit your post title and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

mach1 wrote:Thanks for your response but I can't seem to get it to work. I created a folder to put the .rpm file into, then run the commands but it says the file "LaCie" can't be found.
Am I missing something? Is it possible that it just doesn't work with this particular file?
cd /path/destination
sudo alien --to-deb LaCie%20LightScribe%20Labeler%201.0%20Linux.rpm
Attachments
alien.png
alien.png (43.41 KiB) Viewed 1634 times
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry »

I have not used it for some time now, but, I think you will find alien does not handle files that have spaces in their name.

Try renaming the Lacie download to "something.rpm" with NO spaces. Try alien again against the renamed file. I just downloaded from your quoted link and this worked just fine, although I did not install.

rhodry.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
it's about learning to dance in the rain.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

You can get your LaCie Lightscribe as a .deb file from here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LightScribe
Linux Mint 20.0 Cinnamon - 64bit
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Since you have already installed Simple Labeler, you would know that using Main Menu (alacarte) you can create a menu entry as well as an icon to invoke the application. The path is /opt/lightscribeApplications/SimpleLabeler/SimpleLabeler
There is an icon tucked away in there somewhere.

For LaCie, the path is sudo /usr/4L/4L-gui and it is an Application in Terminal that requires your password (silly of LaCie isn't it).
mach1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mach1 »

Ok so i finnaily got it installed. I had to convert the .rpm to a .tgz then to a .deb

These are the commands i ran;

mike@mint ~ $ cd workspace

mike@mint ~/workspace $ wget http://www.lacie.com/download/drivers/4 ... 6.i586.rpm

mike@mint ~/workspace $ fakeroot alien -t 4L-1.0-r6.i586.rpm

mike@mint ~/workspace $ fakeroot alien 4L-1.0.tgz

mike@mint ~/workspace $ fakeroot dpkg -i 4l_1.0-2_all.deb

I have the application running but it seems all i can do is import a picture on the label template and print the lightscribe disc. Maybe it's still not right.....
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

That is what LaCie Lightscribe does, it lets you import an image and print it to CD/DVD. You can use GIMP to create all sorts of templates as well as downloading templates from the Lightscribe site.
Simple Labeler lets you use text as well as some basic images. Imagine what you could do if you were to combine the abilities of both of these programs. You can burn an image using LaCie as well as text using Simple Labeler.
Get creative!

Return to “Newbie Questions”