Bootable USB for Ubuntu via Mint Mate?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NitroHonda

Bootable USB for Ubuntu via Mint Mate?

Post by NitroHonda »

I'm running Mint Mate on my netbook. I want to boot two OS as I learn more about Linux. I would like to install Ubuntu on my machine. How do I create a bootable USB via Mint in order to boot up Ubuntu? I downloaded the latest Ubuntu to my USB stick. I went to go use imagewriter but it wanted to wipe out what was on my USB stick. Any advice on how to get it installed?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oobetimer

Re: Bootable USB for Ubuntu via Mint Mate?

Post by oobetimer »

marko_s

Post by marko_s »

Unetbootin is also a nice program for making bootable USB sticks. I'm pretty sure it should be in the repositories, although the more recent versions are available on it's website.

If you get the program from the website, make sure to make it executable: right-clicking the program opens up a menu, from where you choose the last option ("Preferences"? I don't use an English-language Mint myself, so I can't remember :) ), then choose the "Permissions" tab, where you can choose the "Allow running the program as executable" option (orsomethinglikethat).

The program itself is pretty simple to use: put in your USB stick, run the Unetbootin program, choose a distribution ("Ubuntu"), the version ("12.04"), you can use some of the space on the USB stick for your own files if you choose so, then click OK. The program will download the distribution from the internet, unpack it and install it on your USB stick.

After this, you can boot your computer from the USB stick.
ingeva
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ingeva »

marko_s wrote:Unetbootin is also a nice program for making bootable USB sticks. I'm pretty sure it should be in the repositories, although the more recent versions are available on it's website.
I haven't had any success with unetbootin. However, I think that ImageWriter comes with a standard Mint 13 installation. Easy to use - and it works.

Menu -> Accessories -> ImageWriter
Mint rules! (20.1 MATE) Cinnamon go home! :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”