I can almost ditch windows but....

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Infiltratr
Level 1
Level 1

I can almost ditch windows but....

Post by Infiltratr »

Hi there

I am currently trying to ditch windows. My goal is to try and live with only Free "open source" software for a year to see if it is indeed possible.

I have almost been able to get rid of windows from my desktops - however I have come up with 3 issues so far and I need some help!

1) how can I install citrix onto my LinuxMint 13 32 bit and 64 bit workstations. I have downloaded the .deb file and can install it but when I click it from the nstart menu, nothing seems to happen?

2) I have tried to get Thunderbird mail to talk to my internal Exchange server, but it does not seem to want to talk to it. What mail package should I replace it with so I can talk to exchange properly and reliably?

3) I have noticed that whenever I add or remove something, I have to type my password in. I have looked through the preferences and administration sections but I cant see where to turn this off. Where abouts is the option?

Best regards,
Shannon
dwasifar
Level 4
Level 4

Re: I can almost ditch windows but....

Post by dwasifar »

Infiltratr wrote: 2) I have tried to get Thunderbird mail to talk to my internal Exchange server, but it does not seem to want to talk to it. What mail package should I replace it with so I can talk to exchange properly and reliably?
Try installing Evolution and the evolution-exchange plugin.
Infiltratr wrote: 3) I have noticed that whenever I add or remove something, I have to type my password in. I have looked through the preferences and administration sections but I cant see where to turn this off. Where abouts is the option?
There is none. This is by design. It's part of the security structure of Unix-like operating systems. You run your desktop session as a user, and users do not have the authority to add or remove packages. Only the root administrator does. So the system prompts you for administrator credentials each time you need root access.

After you've been using Linux a while you'll realize that the better question is, why does Windows allow any old user's session to mess with the system configuration without providing root credentials? :)

Before you ask: yes, it is technically possible to run as root all the time, but it is definitely not a good idea.
Infiltratr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Infiltratr »

Thanks dwasifar! I have just finished playing with Evolution. I couldn't get it working with the exchange connector but then i had another look and found a mapi one and now email is running sweet as!

As for the password thing - meh its really no biggie. I'll probably just consider it a small inconvenience and a very small price to pay to get away from Microsoft's propriety bloatware and cash draining system.

Now im down to getting Citrix working and 3/4's of my desktops can go LinuxMint!!!!!!!
marko_s
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marko_s »

My goal is to try and live with only Free "open source" software for a year to see if it is indeed possible.
It is indeed possible - last time I had Windows on my computer was in early 2008... :wink: :)
Ozman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ozman »

Infiltratr wrote:Hi there

2) I have tried to get Thunderbird mail to talk to my internal Exchange server, but it does not seem to want to talk to it. What mail package should I replace it with so I can talk to exchange properly and reliably?
I have no trouble using Thunderbird to either directly or remotely connect with my work exchange server. I suggest you contact your IT support to ensure you have the correct settings as it is a little more involved than a pop setup.
Infiltratr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Infiltratr »

Hi Ozman

Luckily I am my own tech support for the domain, so settings are not a problem. It seems that Thunderbird will only use OWA to connect to exchange - not Mapi. Maybe im wrong there tho and there is a patch for Thunderbird to connect directly across mapi?

Best regards,
Shannon
ingeva
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ingeva »

Infiltratr wrote:Maybe im wrong there tho and there is a patch for Thunderbird to connect directly across mapi?
No patch needed. Just specify MAPI when you create a mail account.
Mint rules! (20.1 MATE) Cinnamon go home! :)
RETNUH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RETNUH »

Infiltratr wrote:I am currently trying to ditch windows. My goal is to try and live with only Free "open source" software for a year to see if it is indeed possible.
I'd just like to mention that Mint uses some non-free(as in speech) things. If you want a truly open source OS there are five(that I'm aware of) that are accepted by the FSF(Free Software Foundation), have fairly recent(6 months) releases, and are in English(the website at any rate). They are Dyne:Bolic, Dragora, Trisquel, Connochaet OS, and Parabola.

However if you do go completely FOSS(Free and Open Source Software), you won't be able to do some things(mostly involving media).
We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak. -Albert Einstein

Formerly known as Luckydog.

Looking for me? Check the IRC I've been hanging out there.
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry »

You talk about wanting to extract yourself from Windows and then converse about how to get apps to talk to an Exchange Server. Throw the damn thing in the trash where it belongs - seriously, it is not even "standards" compliant. There are any number of excellent small to large scale Linux mail servers already in the repositories. (dovecot being my personal preference). Try a couple out in Virtual Machines.

Also, with Mozilla scaling back Thunderbird development, try Claws Mail as your client. Talks to everything; although Exchange Server needs config changes to the IMAP version; does have a Windows port, and has THE best filtering anywhere in email land (IMHO).

good luck,
rhodry.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
it's about learning to dance in the rain.
dwasifar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dwasifar »

rhodry wrote:You talk about wanting to extract yourself from Windows and then converse about how to get apps to talk to an Exchange Server. Throw the damn thing in the trash where it belongs - seriously, it is not even "standards" compliant.
Chances are that it is not up to him. Very few people maintain their own personal Exchange servers. I'd bet money that the Exchange server belongs to his employer, and that's probably why he needs Citrix, too.

Why did you put "standards" in sneer quotes?
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry »

dwasifar wrote:
rhodry wrote:You talk about wanting to extract yourself from Windows and then converse about how to get apps to talk to an Exchange Server. Throw the damn thing in the trash where it belongs - seriously, it is not even "standards" compliant.
Chances are that it is not up to him. Very few people maintain their own personal Exchange servers. I'd bet money that the Exchange server belongs to his employer, and that's probably why he needs Citrix, too.

Why did you put "standards" in sneer quotes?
I thought it was up to him, based on this comment from the 1st post in the thread:
2) I have tried to get Thunderbird mail to talk to my internal Exchange server,
I didn't know they were considered sneer quotes?! I was simply emphasising the fact that the word standards in one context can mean suggestions in another?! :) ie, it can be a subjective term. However, Exchange Server is not compliant with any mail handling standards that I have adhered to in running mail servers and by & large I personally consider it to be a totally inadequate piece of software! Is that better?! I am not going to debate its merits here though, my point was to the OP, if he is serious about his stated aim of becoming Windows free, then the 1st place to start should be the mail server - IF HE CAN!!

rhodry.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Infiltratr wrote:Hi there

I am currently trying to ditch windows. My goal is to try and live with only Free "open source" software for a year to see if it is indeed possible.

I have almost been able to get rid of windows from my desktops - however I have come up with 3 issues so far and I need some help!

1) how can I install citrix onto my LinuxMint 13 32 bit and 64 bit workstations. I have downloaded the .deb file and can install it but when I click it from the nstart menu, nothing seems to happen?

Best regards,
Shannon
Shannon;

I run a Cirtix client on my Mint 9 (Gnome) 32 bit systems without difficulty. IIRC, the Citrix client is 32 bit (last I looked, no 64 bit available) and does not get along with 64 bit OSs. There is a workaround which can be found here >>> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 4&start=20

Last I remember, I just clicked the .deb and it installed. After the install, I couldn't connect to the desired URL and received an error message that read:
You have not chosen to trust "Entrust.net Certificate Authority (2048)", the issuer of the server's security certificate (SSL error 61).
The reason for the error message is that the install routine places the security certificates in the wrong location. The fix for the problem is easy once you figure it out. For my system the terminal command >>>

Code: Select all

sudo cp /usr/share/ca-certificates/mozilla/Entrust* /usr/lib/ICAClient/keystore/cacerts
fixed the problem once and for all...

Good luck!

P.S.: I have been running Mint exclusively on my laptop at home and at work for a little over a year... and loving it!!! :D
Last edited by Reorx on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running mostly LM19C and a little LM20C.

Image Image Image
Infiltratr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Infiltratr »

Hi There

I could get rid of my exchange server however, im doing one machine at a time - servers are a long way down the list.....

and I could change the way exchange works so I could pop into it, but I really dont want to invest any more time into it. Im spending my time migrating one machine at a time.

Best regards!
Shannon
dwasifar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dwasifar »

rhodry wrote:I thought it was up to him, based on this comment from the 1st post in the thread:
2) I have tried to get Thunderbird mail to talk to my internal Exchange server,
You are quite right. I stand corrected.
rhodry wrote:I am not going to debate its merits here though, my point was to the OP, if he is serious about his stated aim of becoming Windows free, then the 1st place to start should be the mail server - IF HE CAN!!
Oh, you'd get no argument from me. I wouldn't touch Exchange Server with a ten-foot pole. I run Postfix and Courier. I was just curious about the quotes; it seemed like you didn't think very highly of the standards.
Infiltratr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Infiltratr »

thank you Reorx!!!!!!!!!!

your advise was spot on! ive got the 64 bit Citrix client running now!!! All I had to do was

sudo cp /usr/share/ca-certificates/mozilla/Thawte* /opt/Citrix/ICAClient/keystore/cacerts
but it works perfectly!
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

...And now it is my turn to THANK YOU, Shannon... :D

I recently got a new laptop for use at my office... It is a Dell Vostro 1540 with 2GB of RAM... I installed LM13C64 on it an it is running beautifully... I am in the process of getting the new machine ready to replace my current work laptop... OF COURSE I needed to install a Citrix Client and this time when I looked, there was indeed a 64 bit version available in a .deb package - so I D/L it and then clicked it... clicked the "Install" button and the package and its dependencies installed... the Citrix Client install routine terminated with an error message so I issued the terminal command "sudo apt-get install -f" as recommended and dpkg also reported an error, but on I went. When I tried to log in to the server that uses the Citrix Client, I got the infamous "SSL error 61" >>>

I assumed that the fix that I suggested above would work but much to my dismay, the destination path does not exist on my laptop... A quick google search produced a link to THIS THREAD and when I read your reply to me, I noticed that the destination path was different than the destination path I typed above!!! When I checked, the destination path in your post DID EXIST and was lacking the necesary certificates. So, all I had to do was edit my teminal command to include the correct destination and VOILA it is working...

Thanx again!

- Reorx -

P.S.: For folks having difficulty finding the ICAClient folder if it is not in either of the 2 locations mentioned in this thread - in a terminal type >>>

locate eula.txt
and you will find it quickly if it exists on your HD. Good luck! :)
Infiltratr wrote:thank you Reorx!!!!!!!!!!

your advise was spot on! ive got the 64 bit Citrix client running now!!! All I had to do was

sudo cp /usr/share/ca-certificates/mozilla/Thawte* /opt/Citrix/ICAClient/keystore/cacerts
but it works perfectly!
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running mostly LM19C and a little LM20C.

Image Image Image

Return to “Newbie Questions”