Which Desktop For Dual Monitor Support (ATI)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Staffy

Which Desktop For Dual Monitor Support (ATI)

Post by Staffy »

Looking at installing Mint in the next few days, I have been away from Linux on the desktop for a few years (due to work).

The computer it will be going on is my main work machine which has two 20" Dell displays running a ATI6850 graphics card, bulldozer 8120 & 16gb ram.

Decided on Mint after spending sometime reading around the web.

Are there any issues with any of the desktops and dual display support? At the moment I don't really have any preference towards any of them in particular.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
markkirby

Re: Which Desktop For Dual Monitor Support (ATI)

Post by markkirby »

Any should be fine Cinnamon an Mate are reworked Gnome 3 so it should work the same on all as your ATI utility should be taylord for Gnome I cant comment on KDE etc but I would think they shold work they have all been around for a while.
Staffy

Re: Which Desktop For Dual Monitor Support (ATI)

Post by Staffy »

@markkirby thanks for the reply.

Went ahead and installed the cinnamon version seems to be working well. Only real issue I have had at the moment is that when I install ATI's drivers it won't do the monitor layouts right. Running it at the moment with the drivers that mint installed and it seems fine but I haven't done much with it yet. Had a quick search through the forums and it seems a couple of people have had similar issues.

Return to “Beginner Questions”