How to startup automatically VirtualBox and virtual machine

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eiger3970
Level 4
Level 4

How to startup automatically VirtualBox and virtual machine

Post by eiger3970 »

Hi,
I need to automatically startup VirtualBox and the virtual machine in VirtualBox.
1. I startup automatically the Linux Mint 13 Maya mate comuter using BIOS alarm RTC at 0750.
2. I believe crontab -e will need code to startup VirtualBox at a time...say 0755?
3. Not sure how to startup the virtual machine in VirtualBox at a time...say 0800?

3. I found this code that might startup automatically the virtual machine:
vmware -x /var/lib/vmware/virtual \machines/winxppro.vmx"
or
vmrun start
Reference: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/74427

Any help will be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Machine specs:
Disk space: 184.8 GB
Graphics: GeForce GT 710/PCIe/SSE2
Kernel Linux 5.15.0-76-generic x86_64
Linux Mint 21.1 Vera 64-bit.
MATE 1.26.0
Memory: 15.5 GiB
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-10105F CPU @ 3.7GHz x 8
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: How to startup automatically VirtualBox and virtual mach

Post by remoulder »

Your question states it is about VirtualBox yet you give to link to vmware! If you really mean virtualbox, then you might find answers on their support site http://www.virtualbox.org/
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
asdfasdf

Post by asdfasdf »

eiger3970 wrote:Hi,
I need to automatically startup VirtualBox and the virtual machine in VirtualBox.
1. I startup automatically the Linux Mint 13 Maya mate comuter using BIOS alarm RTC at 0750.
2. I believe crontab -e will need code to startup VirtualBox at a time...say 0755?
3. Not sure how to startup the virtual machine in VirtualBox at a time...say 0800?

3. I found this code that might startup automatically the virtual machine:
vmware -x /var/lib/vmware/virtual \machines/winxppro.vmx"
or
vmrun start
Reference: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/74427

Any help will be appreciated.
You might try the command "VBoxHeadless -s <VMNAME>" where <VMNAME> is the name of your virtual machine (if it has spaces in it, put single quotes around it.) This creates a "headless" (no visible interface) running instance of your virtual machine.

If you want to use an X interface to your headless virtual machine like the normal VirtualBox interface, (1) you need to use the actual Oracle version of VirtualBox (not the OSE version) and (2) you need the Oracle VRDP extensions installed. Those are available at the link https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_4_1. You can then use "rdesktop-vrdp localhost" to connect to your headless instance. Although the instructions say that you don't need to, you might still want to enable the Virtual Server in the Display tab.
eiger3970
Level 4
Level 4

Post by eiger3970 »

ok, so I have VirtualBox starting automatically on boot.

Maya/Menu/Search: VirtualBox/right click VirtualBox/select Launch when I log in.

Need to start VirtualBox's virtual machine somehow now.
Machine specs:
MATE 1.26.0
eiger3970
Level 4
Level 4

Post by eiger3970 »

Problem fixed!

VirtualBox startup automatically on boot.
Maya/Menu/Search: VirtualBox/right click VirtualBox/select Launch when I log in.

VirtualBox virtual machine Elastix startup automatically on VirtualBox boot.
Maya/Menu/Preferences/Startup Applications/Add.
Name: VirtualBox's virtual machine Elastix
Command: VBoxHeadless -s Elastix
Save.
Machine specs:
MATE 1.26.0

Return to “Beginner Questions”