DPKG Error Code need help

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
domdelbuco

DPKG Error Code need help

Post by domdelbuco »

Hello forum, im new here and this is my first post. Ive been using Linux for about a year now and i just started using mint, im still a newbie.

Basically the problem i been running into today and yesterday is an error code "E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)"
I went to the bin folder and couldnt find dpkg, so that might be the problem, but i do not know where to start,

Here is what i tried doing:
dom@DomsLinux ~ $ sudo apt-get install -f
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
ttf-mscorefonts-installer
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
3 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process: Resource temporarily unavailable
dpkg: warning: there's no installed package matching ttf-mscorefonts-installer:amd64
Setting up man-db (2.6.1-2) ...
debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process: Resource temporarily unavailable
dpkg: error processing man-db (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Setting up libpam-winbind (2:3.6.3-2ubuntu2.3) ...
dpkg: error processing libpam-winbind (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
man-db
libpam-winbind
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Ive also seen this post on a few other forums and every solution is not working for me because whenever i try and apt-get, the code comes up. Also Synaptic Package Manager does not like to open anymore because it thinks im sudo somewhere else

Please help!!
"
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mads

Re: DPKG Error Code need help

Post by mads »

You can only use one package management program at a time. For instance you shouldn't open Synaptic and Software Center at the same time.
Other than that, check out the solutions provided by "feral-deb" (post #6) here and Thomas Zahreddin (post #8) here.

Return to “Beginner Questions”