Installing Skype

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Ogrelord
Level 1
Level 1

Installing Skype

Post by Ogrelord »

Yes, I'm a total newbie! I was trying to install Skype using the software manager in Mint. It says not installed so I hit install enter my password and it does some stuff with a progress bar and then the it says 0%. the install button is gone but it still says not installed. I have tried to find an installation package or something like that but no luck. Is there something I'm missing here? I also tried to install from the Skype website and had all kinds of errors. Please save me! (I'm installing mainly for my wife) BTW, I'm also a newbie to modern bulletin boards. I used to use them back in 1995 :shock: but there have been a few changes since then, so please forgive me if I'm showing a lack of skills (I did at least read the rules, etc)

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Installing Skype

Post by xenopeek »

If you used the Software Manager, it is a known bug that the displayed installed status is not updated after installing or removing a package. Go back to the overview, or restart Software Manager, and revisit the Skype package details page. It now shows the installed status correctly.

Danko8321
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Danko8321 »

You can easlily do this in two ways: first, you can open up a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install skype
However, since you directly downloaded the Binary from Skype's website, you most likely have dependency errors and that command won't work. My suggestion would be to first try to type:

sudo apt-get install libxss1;sudo apt-get -f install
...If your system is 32-bit, or

sudo apt-get install libxss1 lib32stdc++6 lib32asound2 ia32-libs libc6-i386 lib32gcc1;sudo apt-get -f install
if your system is 64-bit.

You may also have to type

sudo apt-get install -f
before it lets you type any of this commands, but, in that, case, it will warn you about it and tell you you have dependency errors and need to type that. Anyway, that should do the work. Please don't hessitate to post back here if you have any issues.

Cheers. Danko.
Cheer up! Things are getting worse at a slower rate.

Ogrelord
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ogrelord »

Thanks for the help. I had tried a couple of things before. I was reading in one of the forums about doing the updates and after I installed them (took most of the night) I was able to download from software manager and got it installed. Now to get my wife to use it. That's probably the harder problem. :roll:

Danko8321
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Danko8321 »

:lol:, OK, I'm glad you were able to solve your installation issues. Anyway, please mark the post as solved (add "[SOLVED]" to the original post title) so other people with the same problem can come here looking for answers.

Hope you can convince your wife.

Danko.
Cheer up! Things are getting worse at a slower rate.

Return to “Newbie Questions”