Why do so many applications hate the root password ?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
howlongjah
Level 1
Level 1

Why do so many applications hate the root password ?

Post by howlongjah »

New to Mint but not to Linux/Unix.

Mint 13 /Mate didn't prompt me for a root password on installation. So I did what i consider to be the sane thing and set a new root password. However programs such as the package manager won't accept root's password to set superuser privileges and insist on my user account password.

Is this what I'm to expect from Mint ? Sub-MSWindows levels of security ?

zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Why do so many applications hate the root password ?

Post by zerozero »

i believe you should start by reading this >> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

[ bliss of ignorance ]

howlongjah
Level 1
Level 1

Post by howlongjah »

Reading your reply I can only assume that you didn't understand my post . I've been in computing since the early eighties , Unix etc sysadm since the early nineties. Don't know it all then who does.

But I do know when something is pissing me off. And Mint 13 is doing it in so many ways that I've rebooted into Windows 7 to post these messages. Please don't make me use Windows all the time !

zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero »

howlongjah wrote:Reading your reply I can only assume that you didn't understand my post . I've been in computing since the early eighties , Unix etc sysadm since the early nineties. Don't know it all then who does.

But I do know when something is pissing me off. And Mint 13 is doing it in so many ways that I've rebooted into Windows 7 to post these messages. Please don't make me use Windows all the time !
i'm not forcing you into anything (not even using mint, tho i would love if that happen), if windows rocks your boat, be my guest :D we should use what suits us.

either way i believe that you misread the wiki page i linked; there' nothing more to it: you sudo to elevate your user privileges and perform root actions. simple. what i'm missing? what are you overcomplicating?

[ bliss of ignorance ]

howlongjah
Level 1
Level 1

Post by howlongjah »

No problem in a terminal window: bash does it right : root password if you want root privileges. However a number of mint/gnome desktop applications , the package manage being one, will not accept root's password to escalate to root privileges but will give the privileges to my user account's password.

Sorry but this is very very stupid.

And I'm wasting my time on this when my priorities this week are decorating the bathroom and hallway.

zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero »

howlongjah wrote:No problem in a terminal window: bash does it right : root password if you want root privileges. However a number of mint/gnome desktop applications , the package manage being one, will not accept root's password to escalate to root privileges but will give the privileges to my user account's password.

Sorry but this is very very stupid.

And I'm wasting my time on this when my priorities this week are decorating the bathroom and hallway.
i believe that is what sudo is for: give the user account temporary root privileges
zerozero wrote: what i'm missing? what are you overcomplicating?
what *unix system(s) you used before?

[ bliss of ignorance ]

howlongjah
Level 1
Level 1

Post by howlongjah »

Not relevent to my original question but if you must know:

SunOS (early Sun's BSD derived OS), Solaris (when they changed to System V and left the path of righteousness.)
AIX: IBM's abomition which I got lumbered with in one job.
HP-UX: HP and ditto
Some mainframe *nix* where the companies have gone down the drain and I can't remember much about them.
Using , mainly , Red Hat for mail,news,web,proxy servers from the mid to late 90s.

Do I pass go ?

Danko8321
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Danko8321 »

howlongjah wrote:Not relevent to my original question but if you must know:

SunOS (early Sun's BSD derived OS), Solaris (when they changed to System V and left the path of righteousness.)
AIX: IBM's abomition which I got lumbered with in one job.
HP-UX: HP and ditto
Some mainframe *nix* where the companies have gone down the drain and I can't remember much about them.
Using , mainly , Red Hat for mail,news,web,proxy servers from the mid to late 90s.

Do I pass go ?
OK, simple answer in order to try an close this argument: sudo uses Extended User Privileges rather than Root privileges, which makes it ask for the user password instead of the root password, since it needs to authenticate the user, not root. The reason? Well, in short, design. If the user is in the "sudoers" file, it lets it use "Extended User Privileges" in order to achieve the same privileges as root temporarily, but for this it is the user who must authenticate, not root. In fact, in the first system to ever come up with sudo (early Ubuntu, that is), root account wasn't even used at all (was disabled), so sudo is designed so that ROOT does NOT even have to "exist". So, "sudo" and gksudo (a graphical derivative of sudo, which is actually the one used for the "Update Manager", "Synaptic" and so on) will always ask for the user password, never for the root password. The only way of forcing this applications to ask for the root password rather than the user password is to force it to launch via directly switching into the "root" user, rather than the "sudo" user.

PD: by today's standards, those Unix systems are pretty old-school and have a different way of messing around with stuff; while I understand that you are confused and don't know about the workings of sudo, zerozero supplied you with help and you didn't actually bothered to read it; also, sudo is extremely safe and it is even safer than directly using a root account, please avoid refering to it as a bad thing, since it took years of thinking and is a very useful adding to Unix systems.
Cheer up! Things are getting worse at a slower rate.

howlongjah
Level 1
Level 1

Post by howlongjah »

I'm not at all confused & have no problem with sudo or anything else running in terminals. It's a good thing I've had a good night's sleep or I might be ultra-aggresive regarding your patronising & , frankly, stupid last post.

Can someone please read my original post & understand it ?

zerozero
Level 16
Level 16

Post by zerozero »

i believe we got to the bottom of the question and from here on everybody will start "walking on circles": the question (as far as i can see) was answered and additional links given.

[closing the topic before it goes downhill]

[ bliss of ignorance ]

Return to “Newbie Questions”