[Solved] Problem Installing Wine and Skype

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
grandtheft_jiujitsu

[Solved] Problem Installing Wine and Skype

Post by grandtheft_jiujitsu »

I am having troubles installing Wine and Skype.

Skype - I downloaded the .deb directly from the Skype website. I go to "download" folder and click to install, hit "install packages", enter password, then a pop up comes up saying "Downloading additional package files" but nothing happens? From the terminal i entered

Code: Select all

sudo apt install skype
, entered password, notified of file size and asked if i want to continue (yes and enter) then "install these packages without verification (yes, and enter) then it freezes at "0% [connecting to archive.ubuntu.com (91.189.92.182)]

Wine - The instructions on the mfr website say to install the wineHQ ppa first. I tried to do this through the terminal and ran into a similar problem as with Skype.

any suggestions? And yes, I do have an internet connection as I am posting here. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lord_Eager

Re: Problem Installing Wine and Skype

Post by Lord_Eager »

1st avoid to use .deb packages directly when not necessairy, use software manager or obviously better Apt to install packages from repos.
Now open a terminal and type (copy&paste):

sudo apt-get remove skype
then:

sudo add-apt-repository “deb http://archive.canonical.com/ $ (lsb_release-sc) partner" &&
sudo apt-get update && 
sudo apt-get install skype
For wine try:

sudo apt-get install wine
this should install wine 1.4
If you want wine 1.5.XX, then i will try to help you with the add-apt procedure.
Last edited by Lord_Eager on Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grandtheft_jiujitsu

Post by grandtheft_jiujitsu »

sudo apt-get remove skyp
"package skype is not installed, so not removed" ... I guess thats a good thing then,

sudo add-apt-repositor "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ $ (lsb_release-sc) partner"
no errors, so I'm guessing it worked...

sudo apt-get update
lots of updates, then "E: some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used insteasd"

sudo apt-get install skype
took a bit of waiting, but it worked. My friends and distant family would surely thank you :D
Lord_Eager

Post by Lord_Eager »

I'm glad :D , mark the thread as SOLVED if you consider it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”