done with windows-I think!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Recusant
Level 2
Level 2

Re: done with windows-I think!

Post by Recusant »

I love this.

You came here with a useless computer that some would have literally thrown into landfill and you've come out with a working computer, and some some new connections in your brain :)

sailormanbigd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sailormanbigd »

yeah for the brain synopsis. Thanks all, still building new ones though.I played with the puppy some today and have some glitches; I installed to internal hard drive and used the grubdos thing, downloaded and installed firefox, and I was typing a letter in my aol account and the thing just froze up, mouse didn't work, nothing. Tried ctl-alt-del but nothing, hit escape but nothing worked. Had to do a shutdown, then restart. So why did it all of a sudden freeze? Why did I have to reload my personal settings, ie timezone and screen resolution? I am getting more and more at ease with the puppy, getting online now(after swapping a phone cord for the proper eht cord, duh) and I find it is night and day faster than the windows xp machine, way faster!!!! so I will keep looking back for your sage advise, thanks again. Pat ps; what magic button do I hit in case of a freeze-up to unlock the mouse and keyboard?

/dev/urandom
Level 5
Level 5

Post by /dev/urandom »

Just a random thought:
sailormanbigd wrote:Windows is always getting bogged down, slow, freezes, not responding, malware magnet, registry errors and fixes and essentially always needing tweeked.
Windows will not slow down or freeze by itself. Things like that usually happen when you install software that does. Human mistakes can not be solved by changing the operating system. Rest assured that you can even wreak havoc on Linux.

Rest also assured that malware does not fall from the sky.

Try to reconsider your security concept. If you didn't have one, create one. And nope, installing a security software is not a security concept.
You will probably have the same problems on Linux if you don't.

:)
Linux is not the only answer! :: eD2k/Kad mirrors for Linux Mint and LMDE.
Users who misspell "Windows" as "Windoze" intentionally will be considered stupid.

animaguy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by animaguy »

Sailorman,

When all else fails just reboot and in a worse case scenario reinstall.

It takes time to learn the ins and outs of any individual linux distro.

Nothing beats high end hardware.

So if you are using a computer with half a gig of ram you and you are experimenting with an unfamiliar distro then you have to accept that anything can happen.

Eventually you learn what triggers a distro to freeze up.

And that applies to a computer that is low on ram.

Once you save money from using linux and you beef up your linux skills you may all of sudden realize you can find good deals on high end computers that you can afford.

And you may not look it as a risk cause you know what you are doing from learning linux.

If the guy selling you the computer knows you are a linux guy he may just cut you a deal cause he knows the computer will go to good use too.

Learning linux on an old computer is the right way to go.

People who use Windows or Apple cant appreciate what you and I and other linux users are going thru.

Fow us it really is a lot of fun.

sailormanbigd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sailormanbigd »

thanks for the suggestions. So, reccomend a security concept. I don't have on either machine, windows laptop and the linux puppy, any security software like MACAFEE, or some of the others. I did download Malwarebytes free download> In the past I have had issues with the big name antivirus programs, they launch a search whenever and slow my machine down, they are forever looking for updates, etc. Hell, I think the big antivirus companies actually create or pay to have created the virus's themselves. I thought Linus has a much lower incidence of infection? I run daily CCleaner and every other day the Malwarebytes program on the laptop to keep it clean and at optimum speed. I have ccleaner check registry also. And when things get slower I do disc clean and defrag if reccomended. I should use a firewall but haven't yet.
So, no suggestion about Puppy freezing up, no keystrokes to unfreeze it? The screen goes black and won't respond if it sits for awhile, and upon reboot why must I redo the personal settings? Surely that has nothing to do with old slow hardware?
thanks again for your patience and support.

/dev/urandom
Level 5
Level 5

Post by /dev/urandom »

sailormanbigd wrote:I thought Linus has a much lower incidence of infection?
Depends. Linux has less "viruses" but a lot more exploits (because it is an open system, it is much easier to find security holes). They are fixed quickly but also exploited quickly.
Of course you won't get real "trojans" on Linux unless you work as root (which you should always try to avoid) or some security hole allows root access to your system (happened quite recently). You can, however, be "infected" or just become a zombie in a botnet if you are not smart enough to watch out carefully.
sailormanbigd wrote:And when things get slower I do disc clean and defrag if reccomended.
Windows does auto-defrag. No need for this anymore.
sailormanbigd wrote:I should use a firewall but haven't yet.
Personal Firewalls are not really useful as a replacement for a real (hardware) firewall. A firewall is meant to watch your incoming and outgoing ports, so it has to sit outside your system. "Firewalls" that sit on your system don't provide real security. In some cases (= bad "firewall" software) you'll just have to add your own TCP driver to the system to disable the firewall for your malware application. Not really hard to do.
sailormanbigd wrote:So, no suggestion about Puppy freezing up
Not actually, I never used Puppy, sorry. :?
Linux is not the only answer! :: eD2k/Kad mirrors for Linux Mint and LMDE.
Users who misspell "Windows" as "Windoze" intentionally will be considered stupid.

animaguy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by animaguy »

jamvaru
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jamvaru »

lol
this thread reminds me of chatting with the lisa bot in lamda mu, i think; or it was just a standalone clone of lisa (was that the name... wow, i forget... yeah, that is right, chatbot lisa)
it pretends it can chat with you by typing real slow, rather than at the speed of a computer, and it uses funny english, like it is a 12 year old girl, or maybe 9
not that the OP is stupid, but you have to admit, it is a silly post
it seems contrived
but, like lisa, it is contrived well
"oh, i don't know what i am going to do"
"i have this old computer i am trying to get to work but silly windows wont let me do it. what do i do?"
"i tried to download some file that says linuxmint.iso but windows wouldn't open it and said i should look on the web but i just decided to post here"

LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[seriously: i started with a book from the library, or something i bought, i forget which, about Caldera Open Linux ... the point is, the same thing exists today; you might have to have it reserved for you, as it may not be on your local library shelf, but there are many varieties, and most have an option for lower end computers ... something like the one I started with 15 years ago might even work fine on your computer today, though I think I had 4mb of ram at the time, so maybe not, i did upgrade to 8mb at some point...
... so check with your local library for a book that comes with a disc ... follow the instructions, try it out; the book should say in the back what the minimum system requirements are for the disc; if the book is about 5 years old it will probably run fine]

Return to “Newbie Questions”