How do you clear the print Q?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
tomC
Level 2
Level 2

How do you clear the print Q?

Post by tomC »

A print job got hung up in the print Q and won't print. How do I remove it? I can't print anything else until I remove the one that would not print.

Also, how do I search for all my posts in this forum?
Lord_Eager
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How do you clear the print Q?

Post by Lord_Eager »

For your posts: view your post link just beside the User Control Panel icon, under the path of the forum area.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I don't use the main edition much but I can't seem to find a Printer Status application. There has to be an easier way than this but:

Run the following command:

Code: Select all

system-config-printer
Right click the printer in the main panel > View Print Queue

You should be able to right click the job and cancel it.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

The user option is initially set for that user: can only clean/clear their own queues
--but you can change it if you log on as multiple users to allow any user to clear all queues,
  • If you are the single user, but occasionally logon differently, you may have left entries on the cups queue that you can't normally delete/clear without that option, let this user clear all queues including other users..
Otherwise to clean it you probably have to use the admin user
--again I think you are the admin user (first user created at the installation), but I don't know for sure): the cups web page usually lets you don anything you want if the Gnome GUI interface or other GUI interface to the cups server behaves oddly or has too few functions (it does!)

The cups web interface: what it looks like..
http://www.debianadmin.com/setup-cups-c ... ebian.html

In a browser; either method will work they are bot the same address, one is the name, one is the number (localhost)
127.0.0.1:631
localhost:631
Mch more detailed information about cups and printer setups: Hp printers are different they use HPLIP to interface..
--can help to scan the info to get an overall view of the parts that may interest you
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CUPS
tomC
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tomC »

Thanks for trying to help. I need to go into more detail.

I am running Mint 13, Cinnamon, 32 bit.
I am the only user, and I am the Administrator.
I go to Menu/Preferences/Printers
The Printer window says "3 active jobs"
I press the "Show" button and I see the list of the 3 jobs in new window.
There is no delete button. Clicking on the jobs does nothing. Right click does nothing.
At the bottom of the screen are the 3 symbols I associate with a video, an arrrow, two bars, a square. Clicking them does nothing.

I am not a heavy tech person and would like to be able to clear the print quene from the GUI. Is that not realistic in Mint? I am looking for a desktop that does not require a lot of computer skill.
barryp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barryp »

Hi I had this problem recently. The printer config just wasn't doing anything with current jobs & it was very frustrating.

Dr Hu's solution worked for me, but there is an easier way, paste:

http://localhost:631/jobs/

Into the address bar of your browser. All current jobs appear & can be stopped. You have to type in your password. You can then bookmark the page for quick access in the future.

I hope that this is helpful.

Cheers
Barry
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

@TomC

Where you successful in canceling the print job from:

system-config-printer
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
tomC
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tomC »

Thanks everybody. I got it fixed using the http://localhost:631/jobs/
i think several of you were trying to tell me how to do this in different ways but I got flustered and confused. You have been very helpful. Thanks.
Maik
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Maik »

barryp wrote:Dr Hu's solution worked for me, but there is an easier way, paste:

http://localhost:631/jobs/

Into the address bar of your browser.
Thanks, Barry
Ceilidh2
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ceilidh2 »

You should be able to do this from Menu.

Control Centre > Printers. Right-click the icon for your printer. Select "View Print Queue". Highlight and delete the hung-up job.
"Take it easy, but take it." Woody Guthrie

Return to “Newbie Questions”