Printer for all

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Kolin
Level 1
Level 1

Printer for all

Post by Kolin » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:21 am

hi2all. I have one question. How to make my printer always turn "ON" to all users of my PC? If another user wants to print a document, I must go in "Printers" and then take root pass and turn "ON" printer in settings. Its very long and want to make the printer turn "On" as a default without accept my root pass. How to do this?
In a list of allowed users there is all user of my PC. Maya 13, Cinnamon

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Printer for all

Post by remoulder » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:29 am

In System Settings | Printers, have you tried clocking the Options button?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Kolin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kolin » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:33 am

Yes, if I press this button I can see the list of avaible users

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:08 pm

Kolin wrote:I can see the list of avaible users
You are meant to tick the box on the previous page 'Default' then add the users you want to be able to print on this page. Reading your 1st post it sounds as if you have already done this so am confused by what you mean. Is it possible you are confusing the ON button being greyed out for disabled? If so this is not the case, it just means that control is not available to a non admin user. I have tested it here and it works as described for me.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Kolin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kolin » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:12 pm

For me it works, but when my wife want to print page, she always asked me to take a root password. Because by default printer in settings is always off

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:20 pm

Kolin wrote:Because by default printer in settings is always off
Did you 'unlock' the settings before ticking the Default box? Other than that I'm out of ideas as it works fine for me. Perhaps delete the printer and start again? You might also install

Code: Select all

apt install system-config-printer-gnome
to get the gnome 2 printer settings (run system-config-printer). In that you can change the system policy to deny all users (except list) to allow all users.

Kolin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kolin » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:50 pm

Thank you, now it works

Return to “Newbie Questions”