[SOLVED] How Can I Configure Hot Keys to Launch the Terminal

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
w201
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] How Can I Configure Hot Keys to Launch the Terminal

Post by w201 »

Anyone know how to configure hot keys so I can bind CTRL+T to start the terminal in Mint?
Last edited by w201 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eric k
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How Can I Configure Hot Keys to Launch the Terminal

Post by eric k »

In Cinnamon, System Settings>Keyboard>Shortcuts
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775, Xeon 3.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR2-800, EVGA 8800GT, WD Caviar 250 GB SATA-2

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Crunchbang Waldorf, Mint 13 w/Cinnamon, Elementary Luna Beta, Puppy
w201
Level 2
Level 2

Post by w201 »

There's something called keyboard shortcuts in my control center, but when I add a new entry and assign CTRL+T to the Terminal, when I try to launch it, nothing happens. Must be doing something wrong.
eric k
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eric k »

Under the Keyboard Shortcuts tab, there is already an entry for "Launch Terminal" which corresponds to the keybinding "Ctrl+Alt+T"; click on the entry and then press your desired key combo, in your case "Ctrl+T". The entry should change to reflect this, and that's all there is to it.

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775, Xeon 3.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR2-800, EVGA 8800GT, WD Caviar 250 GB SATA-2

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Crunchbang Waldorf, Mint 13 w/Cinnamon, Elementary Luna Beta, Puppy
w201
Level 2
Level 2

Post by w201 »

I don't know if something got messed up or I messed something up, but there is no entry for the terminal. Actually, CTRL+ALT+T doesn't launch the terminal. Do you know where these settings are stored in the kernel so I can take a look?

***EDIT****

Something is really weird...every time I try to assign a new binding I get an error code like, "error while trying to run (Ctrl+T) which is linked to the key (Primary+T)" And I get that no matter which combination of keys I used. confused
w201
Level 2
Level 2

Post by w201 »

Okay, I figured this out...

When you go to keyboard shortcuts, and click add, you have two options, Name and Command. The name can be anything, but what you type into the command field makes a difference. I was typing terminal, which didn't work. Then I tried launch terminal, didn't work. Finally after looking around the configuration files I found that mate-terminal is the command you want!

Return to “Newbie Questions”