A previous installation was detected

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ShaggyDogg

Post by ShaggyDogg »

at G:\linuxmint. Please uninstall that to continue.

I'm new to Linux in general, so keep this in mind. I don't know ANYTHING about Linux, so I tried to install it on my 16 GB flash drive (G:\). Didn't work, so I formatted the flash drive and put some other stuff on it. I burned Mint 13 MATE onto a DVD and put it in my drive, then ran it, and clicked on the first option (Demo and full installation). I then clicked "Help me to boot from CD" and I got this error message.

Basically, how am I supposed to uninstall this? It's kind of, erm, gone.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
animaguy

Post by animaguy »

How much ram do you have on your computer?

Is rhe computer a desktop or laptop?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: A previous installation was detected

Post by austin.texas »

How did you install Mint 13 to your USB drive before you burned the DVD?
What are you trying to accomplish now?
Are you wanting to install Mint 13 to your USB drive again, or just trying to run it on the DVD?
Did you try running the DVD without having the USB drive plugged in?
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
ShaggyDogg

Post by ShaggyDogg »

errorscreencap.png
How did you install Mint 13 to your USB drive before you burned the DVD?
What are you trying to accomplish now?
Are you wanting to install Mint 13 to your USB drive again, or just trying to run it on the DVD?
Did you try running the DVD without having the USB drive plugged in?
I used http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/ this to burn the ISO to the flash drive, and then tried to use that same flash drive to install Mint.

I'm trying to install Mint on my SSD, which currently has Windows.

Yes, I tried it both with the drive plugged in and without it plugged in, and I'm still getting the same error.
How much ram do you have on your computer? Is the computer a desktop or laptop?
I have 8 GB, but I'm thinking that you're going to tell me to run a VM, which is not what I'm trying to do.

By the way, I was also going to reinstall Windows on my other mechanical hard drive. Attached is the screen-capped error.
ShaggyDogg

Post by ShaggyDogg »

Does anyone want to give me advice?
animaguy

Post by animaguy »

would you consider burning the iso to a CD or DVD?
ShaggyDogg

Post by ShaggyDogg »

I did. I ran it from the DVD (see picture) and I got that error message.
ShaggyDogg

Post by ShaggyDogg »

I guess this serves as a bump because no one is answering my question.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Don't select anything in Windows, just reboot the computer with your DVD in the tray, and when the computer starts, you should see something flash on the screen that says something like "bott options", or "startup disk" or something like that, its usually requires you to press one the F buttons, for example mine is F12, yours could be that, or it could be F2, or even the esc button or delete button. But when you get to that menu, select "boot from cd" or whatever it says for the dvd drive, and it should boot the DVD for you.
animaguy

Post by animaguy »

I agree with McLovin regarding his suggestion.

Also, bumping isnt really bad as long as it isnt abused.

So you say you are new to Linux.

Are you new to BIOS?

Do you know what it means to boot from a CD/DVD drive instead of the internal harddrive?

Can you boot a live CD or DVD to your computer?
ShaggyDogg

Post by ShaggyDogg »

I have booted to the disc and installed it, but I'm having problems with my wireless router, probably because I have no clue what I'm doing.

Return to “Beginner Questions”