installing/running wine to run a couple of windows programs

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
tbrownarcher2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

a friend of mine installed wine on his linux mint 13 cinammon and it works exactly as it should first time no problems ... so i took my desktop out to him and he couldn't get it on my system ( IBM Lenovo. one gig memory) running the same operating system .

it seems to be on my system but it changed some things for instance I put in an install CD for a program and the dvd lights up but then only spins . It's not reading but spins. If I try read the disk it gives me file names but won't invoke setup.exe and now i find that it says it has not mounted a music cd , BUT it reads the cd to give me the presence of files. What is happening >>>?

He started by going out to the wine home page and getting it from there and for my machine it did not work. For his machine that worked.

I asked him to go to synaptic and get it but it didn't work either and I"m thinking that since it was already on my machine synaptic used the settings from the first install.

I'm thinking it needs a complete uninstall and reinstall with synaptic but i'm open to any suggestions before I do that. And I'm not completely sure how to uninstall either or both installs. Is it there 2 times or just one and set wrong ????

thanks,
Nate
Windows 10 / Linuxmint 18
_
Lenovo
Machine type and mode1 10149
System Brand Id lenovo C460
_
HP 2000 Notebook PC running windows 8.1 (lap top )
_
Acer Aspire running linux mint 17.1 on the linux side and windows 10

animaguy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by animaguy »

My suggestion is this:

complete reinstall

document all steps you follow and test again to see if you cannot duplicate and isolate the cause of the problem you have descibed

if all of a sudden everything works? Great.

if you still have problems?

try again

and if you still have problems?

then try to learn how to install VirtualBox and run Linux Mint as the host and Win7 as the guest

Hope that makes sense

tbrownarcher2
Level 5
Level 5

Re: installing/running wine to run a couple of windows progr

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

you are not talking of reinstalling linux are you ...? Just wine?

If i do an uninstall how do I make sure that all settings and aspects of wine (both installs) is / are removed.?

thanks,
Nate
_
Lenovo
_
_

tbrownarcher2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

Is there a setting somewhere on a cd/dvd that allows or disallows the cd to run a setup program. I think i've seen something like that before . If there is where is it and how do I access it .. I can't seem to access any config program for the cd/dvd on my machine. That could be the problem. It seems to me that wine is installed and ok but I can't prove that ... It is said to be there and there is an icon in the menu and the icon takes me to the working parts of wine and so i think it's working I'm not sure my cd is though it plays music now

I did an uninstall of wine and reinstall .... I was never sure the uninstall worked but it said it did though the icon was still in the menu .. i did not do a reboot though ....after all that things are exactly the same ...
_
Lenovo
_
_

animaguy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by animaguy »

sudo apt-get install wine

in the terminal

this should tell you if wine is already installed.

sudo apt-get remove wine

in the terminal

this will uninstall

if you have more questions please let me know, and I am happy to help you figure it out

tbrownarcher2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

yes sudo apt-get wine did not work
sudo apt-get remove wine did not work

that is one of the problems i have already tried those commands ....

the way i got it installed is with synaptic manager.

but under no condition will wine install or run any setup.exe. it just sits there like i did not type anything or click on anything.

it reads the files on the disk, it will play music, but wine will not install a setup or install program .

another thing is that it has a sort of windows file system on it and nothing in that is readable or usable. I don't know if it's supposed to be or if it's a sort of dummy file but I certainly can't run any windows *.exe files

Now I have to readjust what i said ..... I'm not gonna uninstall but sudo apt-get install wine will work now when it did not before.

thanks,
Nate
_
Lenovo
_
_

Return to “Newbie Questions”