(Solved) Sound In Mint 13 Maya

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
allanh
Level 2
Level 2

(Solved) Sound In Mint 13 Maya

Post by allanh »

Hello,

I am using Mint 13 Maya 64 bit as a full boot on an Acer Aspire Laptop. The sound was working perfectly until a couple of days ago and is now only partially functional. I guess this could be due to an upgrade.

The internal mic has disappeared completely. An external mic does not function. I have tried the sound settings and the mic is not there. I have alsamixer installed and all is set correctly in the command line. The external speakers that are connected to the headphone jack work perfectly.

This is a problem as Skype does not work. I have tried all the Skype sound settings to no avail. I had version 4 of Skype installed and uninstalled it and reinstalled version 2. Same negative result.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Allan :)

I resolved this problem by using the following command in the Terminal:

killall pulseaudio; rm -r ~/.pulse*

Reboot after 10 seconds.

Regards,

Last edited by allanh on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

animaguy
Level 4
Level 4

Sound In Mint 13 Maya

Post by animaguy »

I had the same problem.

I use LM13 (ubuntu based) 64-bit w/ xfce.

at first everything worked fine

and after using for a while i had a problem

the opening boot and login sound worked but the movie player videos, youtube videos, podcasts and music all of a sudden stopped.

I had another computer and decided to let it slide for the time being.

Eventually I made the decision to reinstall LM13 for non-sound related reasons.

And all of a sudden everything worked fine again.

Unfortunately I have yet to figure out what is triggering the sound to go out.

The only suggestion I can offer is to reinstall and see if the sound restores.

And from that point forward be very meticulous as to what settings you customize and what packages you install and continue to test the sound to see if you can figure out what the problems is.

kamakura117
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Sound In Mint 13 Maya

Post by kamakura117 »

Hi,

You might also try and see if you can start up with an older kernel during the grub boot menu.

I had that problem a few years back with an old motherboard - additionally for some reason there were two configurations for my speakers, so I often had to picked the other output/input device just to change the volume. It was a pain, but eventually I just put a rheostat on my keyboard. :-)
Linux Mint 17 - KDE
AMD FX-8350 BE
32 GB DDR3 1333Mhz
NVIDIA Tesla C2075

allanh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by allanh »

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. However to reinstall Linux Mint is definitely not the right answer.

I have managed to get the Mic to work again using pavucontrol and alsamixer. All the sound settings are working as normal but not in Skype.

It us therefore a Skype problem and has nothing to do with Mint.

Regards,

kamakura117
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kamakura117 »

Okay, I did not conclude that from your original post. I don't have any advice then, sorry and good luck!
Linux Mint 17 - KDE
AMD FX-8350 BE
32 GB DDR3 1333Mhz
NVIDIA Tesla C2075

allanh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by allanh »

[quote="allanh"]Hello,

I am using Mint 13 Maya 64 bit as a full boot on an Acer Aspire Laptop. The sound was working perfectly until a couple of days ago and is now only partially functional. I guess this could be due to an upgrade.

The internal mic has disappeared completely. An external mic does not function. I have tried the sound settings and the mic is not there. I have alsamixer installed and all is set correctly in the command line. The external speakers that are connected to the headphone jack work perfectly.

This is a problem as Skype does not work. I have tried all the Skype sound settings to no avail. I had version 4 of Skype installed and uninstalled it and reinstalled version 2. Same negative result.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Hello,

I am running Mint 13 Maya 64 bit on an Acer Laptop. The sound works perfectly except in Skype. I have read though several of the forum issues regarding Skype sound but cannot get the sound to work on my machine.

I have version 4 of Skype and when I first installed it it was OK, then the sound just stopped working. I have installed alsamixer and ran it from a terminal. All the settings are OK. I also have Gnome Alsa Mixer installed. I also tried setting the sound in Skype and running the echo test. The sound in Skype is set to Pulse Audio and there are no other options. No sound.

In the Mint sound settings all appears to be OK with the exception of the hardware. There are 2 options and the one that iappears to be causing problems is the GF108 High Definition Audio Controller HDMI Output. The other setting is Built in Audio.

I have another machine which is running Mint 13 Maya 32 bit and Skype works as normal. There is only one Hardware Sound output device on this machine.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Return to “Newbie Questions”