An itunes replacement for my ipod touch 3g

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
3×5
Level 1
Level 1

An itunes replacement for my ipod touch 3g

Post by 3×5 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:56 pm

Hello,

I know that other questions have been asked on this topic, but I have some specific criteria I am trying to meet so I thought I would ask for your advice.

I would like to find a media player that supports playlist folders. Currently I have narrowed the contenders down to Clementine and Nightingale. If you have any others I should try, please let me know.

I would like a media player that allows nested criteria for smart playlists. What does this mean? Well in itunes, you can make a smart playlist that meets the following criteria: The song is EITHER in the genre 'Indie Rock', OR it's in the genre 'Alternative' AND the release year is after 2000. So the playlist with return all Alternative tracks post-2000, and all Indie Rock tracks. Currently, the player with the closest functionality is Nightingale, where you can use the 'is playlist' criterion. So I can have a playlist for Alternative after 2000 called 'New Alternative', and then create another playlist that meets the criteria genre = 'Indie Rock' or is in playlist 'New Alternative'. All the other players I've tried seem to have pretty basic smart playlist functionality.

Finally, I need to be able to sync my iPod touch 3g. I would like to be able to manage apps from mint, if at all possible, but if not, I would just like to be able to manage music, playlists (including playlist folders), and podcasts.

Thank you in advance for any advice you may have.

hellfire695
Level 3
Level 3

Re: An itunes replacement for my ipod touch 3g

Post by hellfire695 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:58 am

Banshee is best i find for music

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:04 am

If your iPod touch is a new model, or uses a very recent iOS version, it is possible that sync is not working yet on Linux. Otherwise, Banshee should be able to sync.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

3×5
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 3×5 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:38 pm

Banshee does seem like the most ipod-friendly solution. I plugged my ipod in and it recognized it immediately, and then I dragged some podcasts to it and they added easily -- except those podcasts weren't actually present on my ipod when I went to listen to them.

So, of all the options, banshee appears to work the best -- only it doesn't work, for me, at least, out of the box.

I'm running ios 5 on a 3rd gen ipod. I will try to play around with banshee some more. Are there any good plugins/extensions/hacks for banshee?

3×5
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 3×5 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:51 pm

Well, after playing around with Banshee, it became clear that it isn't going to work. I think my firmware (5) is too new. Clementine is probably the way to go. Even GTKpod crashes and slows to a crawl. Maybe it's time to jailbreak, I don't know. Any advice would be appreciated.

Return to “Newbie Questions”