LM13 + ATI Radeon Drivers

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MysticGold04

LM13 + ATI Radeon Drivers

Post by MysticGold04 »

Ok..

I think I messed up. New installation of Mint 13 Maya w/ Cinnamon (she's beautiful) I broke her by installing the ATI drivers from the "Additional Drivers" link and when it rebooted, my monitor said "Out of Range". I don't remember how I did it but I dropped to the shell and tried to fix my xorg.conf file by copying the "failsafe" configuration over the original. Needless to say that made things worse and then I removed the ATI drivers from the command line. Now X will not start. Is there anyway to quickly fix this or should I just do a re-install?

Thanks in advance... I suppose I could just re-install, but then I won't learn to fix things ;)
If I do have to re-install, should I grab the drivers from the AMD website?
The PC is in my Sig.. the Foxconn NTA350.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: LM13 + ATI Radeon Drivers

Post by tdockery97 »

You might try this. Boot a live CD/DVD, go into the file system on your installed Mint 13 Cinnamon and open the folder /etc/X11 as root. Then simply delete the xorg.conf file so that there is no longer any xorg.conf file in /etc/X11 folder. Now try rebooting and see what happens.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
MysticGold04

Post by MysticGold04 »

Did that... now I get the "Display out of range" on my monitor. It appears to be running though.. I wonder now if I remove the flgrx driver... Hmmm
MysticGold04

Post by MysticGold04 »

That worked... now I'm back to where I was! :)

Thanks
ajg007

Post by ajg007 »

MysticGold04 wrote:That worked... now I'm back to where I was! :)

Thanks
the moral of the story is. DONT install the ati drivers.

There was a work around for the out of range.
ajg007

Post by ajg007 »

MysticGold04 wrote:That worked... now I'm back to where I was! :)

Thanks
the moral of the story is. DONT install the ati drivers.

There was a work around for the out of range.

Code: Select all

edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, and inside the stanza "Screen", add the following lines:

Subsection "Display"
    Virtual 2646 1024
EndSubsection

Where the numbers for Virtual are the ones marked "requested" in the error message:

The selected configuration for displays could not be applied
required virtual size does not fit available size:
requested=(2646, 1024), minimum=(320, 200), maximum=(1366,1366)
but i never tried it
jamvaru

Post by jamvaru »

lol, there is no 'moral' of the story

you SHOULD install the ati drivers, BUT... they always put their new updates out as betas, meaning untested...
Often I can't use the one with the 'latest updates' but the regular one or an older one works fine
If nothing works, try downloading an older version than the one available in mint; you will have to follow instructions to install manually
In the meantime, you always have the 'generic' drivers
you can use 'aptitude' if you can't get into the gui

Return to “Beginner Questions”