ditching mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
secretreeve

ditching mint

Post by secretreeve »

sorry to say this but mint 13 has to be one of the buggiest, unstable, unpredictable and useless operating systems around.

despite the lack of support on the forums this os has FAR to many issues stretching from graphics problems all the way to some but that stops you from entering a password at standby.

not to mention the delay between log in and desktop coming up.

mint is definatly not mature enough for mainstream distribution and needs alot of work to move on from the relatively pathetic peice of work thatt has been released.

take down the download links, work on fixing the bugs and issues then relaunch it for god sakes.

in the mean time, i'll be back on ubuntu. at least its alot more stable than this is.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Amithiel

Re: ditching mint

Post by Amithiel »

Sorry to hear that dude. But i wouldn't call it pathetic. Since it's a free work, you have to respect people's hard code on this.
I'm not a programmer, but hell... i can imagine what's like spending hours after hours coding and trying to fix bugs, and then come here to see someone calling my work "pathetic"
Each system is different, might have not worked for you dude, sorry for that
snerd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by snerd »

I just came back from Windows 7 & 8. It's nice to be back on Mint with the Cinnamon desktop. Very stable and usable. No worry about critical updates, patches, security breeches and blue screens. There's no place like home.
ajg007

Post by ajg007 »

snerd wrote:I just came back from Windows 7 & 8. It's nice to be back on Mint with the Cinnamon desktop. Very stable and usable. No worry about critical updates, patches, security breeches and blue screens. There's no place like home.
I'm not with the original poster but i feel linux in general does seem to have just as many 'updates'. Granted these are not 'security' ones but i was surprised when it told me i needed to update.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, secretreeve.

To speak frankly, I doubt that you will bother to read the replies to your emotional rant against Linux Mint. You just wanted to express your frustration. Well you have done so. Too bad that it is impossible to understand what frustrated you so much. Yet, your post fails to support any of your negative statements with a single reproducible fact.
mint 13 has to be one of the buggiest, unstable, unpredictable and useless operating systems around.
It would be more than amazing if this were true. After all Linux Mint 13 is based on Ubuntu 12.04. In fact, Linux Mint 13 is Ubuntu 12.04 with a different user interface. That's it.
So how can Ubuntu 12.04 be more stable than Linux Mint 13? It cannot and it is not. They are equally stable. Simply check your /etc/apt/sources.list files on Ubuntu 12.04 and on Linux Mint 13. You will find that Linux Mint 13 gets most of its software from the Ubuntu repositories. Almost everything, except the Cinnamon, Mate or XFCE user interface software.
I have been using both, Ubuntu 12.04 Unity desktop and Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon desktop for roundabout 3 months now. Both systems have received all available updates. So they are both up-to-date. I run the same software on both systems. I have not been able to find a substantial difference between Ubuntu and Mint with respect to number of bugs, stability or speed.
Personally, I like the Cinnamon desktop much better than the Unity desktop. But this is my personal preference. No one needs to agree.
despite the lack of support on the forums
The Linux Mint forum is a user forum like the Ubuntu forum. I.e. we are all volunteers spending our time to share our experiences and our knowledge in order to help people who need help, not because we get paid for it, but because we want to do so.
Therefore we may tend to respond to help requests which present the problem in a clear and detailled way.
Report one problem per thread. Don't mix unrelated issues in one thread. Provide all relevant details. If asked to provide particular details on top, do so. They may be relevant though you think they are not. Following this approach, your chances of getting helpful replies will be higher.
mint is definatly not mature enough for mainstream distribution
Again. Linux Mint is Ubuntu revamped. - Perhaps not everybody is mature enough for Linux?
work on fixing the bugs
No need to tell the developers. The Linux kernel developers, the Debian developers, the Ubuntu developers and the Mint developers are constantly correcting mistakes. This is why Ubuntu 12.04 and Linux Mint 13 have offered updates almost every other day since they were released.
i'll be back on ubuntu. at least its alot more stable than this is.
Well, use the operating system which works best for you. We all do if we have got the choice. If you experience less problems using Ubuntu, fine, stick with Ubuntu.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
axel668

Post by axel668 »

Try Mint 13 XFCE, Synaptic as package manager.
It just works, rock solid and fast, like the Mint / Debian releases of old.

Return to “Beginner Questions”