Creating Desktop Shortcuts?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
obscenelyappropriate
Level 2
Level 2

Creating Desktop Shortcuts?

Postby obscenelyappropriate » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:42 pm

Is there any way I can create desktop shortcuts in Cinnamon? I want to create a shortcut to my folder /Home/Documents but I can't find any way of making such a shortcut on the GUI. Is there a way to do it using the terminal? If not, is there any chance that in the future someone could please make a command (I'd do it myself but I forget how to make new commands, it's been a few years) that could do this? The usage of this command would be something like this:

for files (if for w/e reason you wanted to create a shortcut to a file):
mkshct -fl nameoffile.extension locationofnewshortcut

For programs:
mkshct -prg nameofprogram.extension locationofnewshortcut

For folders:
mkshct -fld nameofolder locationofnewshortcut.

So say I was in / (or somewhere other than my Home directory) and I wanted to make the shortcut I mentioned in the opening paragraph it would be:
mkshct -fld /Home/Documents /Home/Desktop
Or if I was already in /Home:
mkshct -fld Documents Desktop

Or if I wanted to make a shortcut to, say, a term paper for my history class I'd type:
mkshct -fl /Home/Documents/school/history/"Term Paper.doc" /Home/Desktop
(I have to save my school papers as .doc because I have to turn them in online.)

If such a command doesn't already exist, is there any way that either someone could make it and it would appear as an update, or someone could tell me how to make it? Thanks.
(to the tune of "Log")
It's Linux, Linux.
It's small, it's fast, it's free.
It's Linux, Linux.
It is the OS for me!

caribriz
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Creating Desktop Shortcuts?

Postby caribriz » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:17 pm

To make a shortcut to your Documents folder on the desktop in Cinnamon:

Open your /home folder
Right-click Documents folder
click "Make link", then drag the link to the desktop
rename if desired

or - less messy way for me using a wheel mouse - ymmv -
Drag Documents folder with the mouse wheel to desktop, release, click "link here".

caribriz
Desktop: C2D E6400 / Asus P5LD2SE / 2GB ram / Asus GeForce 210 / 320GB (WinXP) & 1TB (Mint - various)
Laptop: Asus A53E-SX1455V - i5 2450M / 4GB ram / Intel HD 3000 / 500GB (Win7/Mint 17.3 Cinnamon)

obscenelyappropriate
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Creating Desktop Shortcuts?

Postby obscenelyappropriate » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:01 am

caribriz wrote:To make a shortcut to your Documents folder on the desktop in Cinnamon:

Open your /home folder
Right-click Documents folder
click "Make link", then drag the link to the desktop
rename if desired

or - less messy way for me using a wheel mouse - ymmv -
Drag Documents folder with the mouse wheel to desktop, release, click "link here".

caribriz

Thanks, that was quite helpful... But I still think that a mkshct command would be pretty cool.
(to the tune of "Log")
It's Linux, Linux.
It's small, it's fast, it's free.
It's Linux, Linux.
It is the OS for me!

Return to “Newbie Questions”