Installed LinuxMint 13, but no option to boot after restart

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
LordOnto
Level 1
Level 1

Installed LinuxMint 13, but no option to boot after restart

Postby LordOnto » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:17 pm

Hello,

This is my first time trying to use Linux.

I recently tried out the live DVD version of mint 13 (64 bit cinnamon i believe, on a Samsung laptop) and really enjoyed it. So much so that I Decided to permanently install it. However, after what I thought was a clean install (the partition worked I am pretty sure) I do not have the ability to choose operating systems when I boot my laptop. I was following the user guide for mint 13 and I am pretty sure I did not miss any steps... the manual said that after ejecting the live DVD and pressing enter, the system should restart and you should get a black screen where you can choose which OS to start, which I do not get (it just boots windows as usual).

I changed my bios settings to load from DVD in order to load the live DVD so I am not sure if that has anything to do with it. Another thing, when I press F2 while restarting the laptop I can go to an option where theoretically you can switch OS. However, only Windows 7 is there...

The partition seems to exist which is why I am confused why my computer is not recognizing that there is a new OS on my system.

Help please thanks!!

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Installed LinuxMint 13, but no option to boot after rest

Postby AlbertP » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:28 pm

Did you do manual partitioning? In that case, where did you put the Linux bootloader? I know it's confusing, you should have put it on /dev/sda, instead of just on the Linux partition. Also, I presume this is a UEFI based system?
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

LordOnto
Level 1
Level 1

Postby LordOnto » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:30 pm

I chose the option Boot Alongside Windows 7 and I was under the impression that the partioning was done for me. All I really did was drag a slide over to select how much space to allocate to Mint. I don't think I placed a bootloader anywhere...

As for uefi, I don't know I am a n00b :cry:

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Postby AlbertP » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:43 pm

Then it should be ok. What type of laptop do you have?

LordOnto
Level 1
Level 1

Postby LordOnto » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:00 pm

Samsung series 7 chronos

LordOnto
Level 1
Level 1

Postby LordOnto » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:43 pm

Two other things I noticed that may be of some help... when following the guide it hinted that I should only have 1-2 partitions, however I had 4 (5 now after installing Mint). Interestingly enough, none of them is the same size as what I told the installer to allocate. Anyway, the partitions say (system, active, primary partition), (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition), and the two smaller ones say (recovery partition). I noticed the my disc space on windows has decreased after I added the additional partition for Mint so I think the installation "worked", it just won't give me the option to boot.

Perhaps I should delete the partition I had the installer make (if that is possible & easy to do) and try to reinstall it? Then again, I don't think I can see the Mint partition from the Windows partition formatter... :shock: :shock: :shock:

EDIT: Also in order to set my boot order in the BIOS menu I pressed F2 to enter BIOS. After installing MINT when I press F2 during boot it only takes me to the advanced boot settings which is a different page (pressed 'delete' during boot to get their prior to Mint installation). I don't know if that has anything to do with anything but it sure is strange

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Postby AlbertP » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:29 am

That's strange. There are some reports of Samsung Series 7 Chronos problems, but it's mostly about AMD graphics, battery life, and the touchpad. Samsung seems to have a sane UEFI implementation which lets you dual-boot easily. I think you just need to install Linux again.
Linux partitions are visible in Windows's Drive Manager but cannot be read: they don't show up in Computer. But I recommend to use the GParted program from the Mint disc for your partitioning as Windows partitioning programs might mess up the bootloader if you have Linux installed.

Return to “Newbie Questions”