Unusually high disk IO

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
anurag11feb
Level 1
Level 1

Unusually high disk IO

Postby anurag11feb » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:43 pm

Hi , I have Linux mint 13 on Lenovo thinkpad T420.

Sometimes the system becomes very slow , with lot of disk IO. How do I detect wats happening?

The programs I use chrome(10 tabs with 1 for youtube), Spring source toolsuite, skype, pidgin

My system has 4 GB ram , even with all the programs started , some mem is free , but still I see a lot of disk IO
Any thoughts??

xircon
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Unusually high disk IO

Postby xircon » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:57 am

It is Google Chrome, it has a nasty memory leak that causes this. It got so bad on my machine I had to swap to Opera.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

:Edit: Swapped on to my laptop, it is easier to type. I found this python script, that aggregates memory processes, it showed how bad the problem was getting:
http://www.pixelbeat.org/scripts/ps_mem.py
http://github.com/pixelb/scripts/commit ... /ps_mem.py
Dell Inspiron N5010 / Core I5 / ATI Mobility Radeon HD5400, LMDE Tracking Sid & Cinnamon Desktop
"Ubuntu is an African word meaning 'I can't configure Debian'"

veggen
Level 4
Level 4

Postby veggen » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:23 am

As xircon said, first check how swap is used and if a rogue app is causing it...

If you keep getting this issue even when no app is running, check if this happens both on battery and on cable. I remember there was some nasty bug with Linux and certain HDD model that caused unreasonable IO, and I think it was relevant if you were on battery.
Can't remember the details, but I think you were supposed to monitor the cycle using hdparm command, and if you saw it rising non stop, you would know you'd been affected.

anurag11feb
Level 1
Level 1

Postby anurag11feb » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:31 am

how do i check how the swap is being used ?

xircon
Level 5
Level 5

Postby xircon » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:31 pm

You can use gnome-system-monitor, it is on the resources tab. Launch it before you launch chrome, pin it on top.

Try using another browser as well (firefox or opera). If the problem does not occur whilst you are running these browser(s), you have proved the problem is with chrome (that is how I worked it out, firefox did not work well for me, probably due to open source radeon drivers).

Cheers

Steve
Dell Inspiron N5010 / Core I5 / ATI Mobility Radeon HD5400, LMDE Tracking Sid & Cinnamon Desktop
"Ubuntu is an African word meaning 'I can't configure Debian'"

Return to “Newbie Questions”