How to move launcher?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jim.thornton
Level 1
Level 1

How to move launcher?

Postby jim.thornton » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:49 am

I have created a launcher to automatically open a specific website. Currently it is on my desktop and I would like to move it to my Favorites in my MintMenu. Could someone please tell me how to do it. I can't seem to find the answer by searching.

caribriz
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How to move launcher?

Postby caribriz » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:56 am

Have a look at this tutorial:
http://www.linuxandlife.com/2012/06/add-website-shortcuts-to-favorites-list.html

I think you can put a launcher that has just been created from the desktop onto the mintMenu
by putting an entry into the applications.list in /home/username/.linuxmint/mintMenu,
eg. location:/home/your-user-name/Desktop/name-of-your-launcher.desktop
but, AFAIK you can't just then "move" it from the desktop to the mintMenu (you'd have to keep the original launcher on the desktop as well).

I think the tutorial is a better idea - redoing the launcher in /usr/share/applications and then adding the desktop entry
like the others in applications.list
eg. location:/usr/share/applications/name-of-launcher.desktop

Edit: If you do use the tutorial, what I found is I had to add the entry in applications.list as root:
sudo pluma ~/.linuxmint/mintMenu/applications.list

Then Menu > reload plugins.
And it wasn't immediately in the favorites list for me
- I had to click "All applications" first, then right-click my launcher in the list > click "Show in my favorites"
Then it appeared in favorites.

caribriz
Desktop: C2D E6400 / Asus P5LD2SE / 2GB ram / Asus GeForce 210 / 320GB (WinXP) & 1TB (Mint - various)
Laptop: Asus A53E-SX1455V - i5 2450M / 4GB ram / Intel HD 3000 / 500GB (Win7/Mint 17.3 Cinnamon)

jim.thornton
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Re: How to move launcher?

Postby jim.thornton » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:59 pm

I figured out a way to do it. It seems quite a bit simpler. By adding the launcher to the mint menu by itself, I was able to then right click on the item in the menu and add it to favorites.

Doing it this way was easier and quicker.

Thank you for your help.

caribriz
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How to move launcher?

Postby caribriz » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:52 pm

Wow! - you're right - it's a lot simpler :)
I didn't know you could do it like that (with webpage shortcuts).

For anyone who may want the simple way explained :wink: :

To put a webpage shortcut in Favorites in mintMenu (mate)
Right-click Menu > Edit menu
I clicked Other - you can put it wherever you want
Click New Item ... Create Launcher box appears
Type in Name, and command for webpage, if you're using Firefox
- in the command box, type in, firefox whatever-is-your-webpage-address
close Launcher Properties
Right-click Menu again, click Reload plugins
Open Menu > Click All Applications > Other > right-click the new item > click Show in my Favorites

caribriz
Desktop: C2D E6400 / Asus P5LD2SE / 2GB ram / Asus GeForce 210 / 320GB (WinXP) & 1TB (Mint - various)
Laptop: Asus A53E-SX1455V - i5 2450M / 4GB ram / Intel HD 3000 / 500GB (Win7/Mint 17.3 Cinnamon)

Return to “Newbie Questions”