Three Weeks and NO Windows usage at all.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
clywhite
Level 1
Level 1

Three Weeks and NO Windows usage at all.

Post by clywhite »

I have hit the three week mark without booting into windows at all. I really like Linux. Now I have an issue. I want to remove Windows from my laptop. I installed Mint using the Windows Installer, but I noticed that both the Windows Bootloader and Grub load at boot. Please tell me there is a guide to remove Windows from this Laptop without reinstalling. I have done a lot of work on this Mint Install. I really dont want to start over. I did get a free copy of VMware Workstation from the college's program with VMware. The key expires in 2 years but it can be renewed every two years.
Thanks in advance for any help.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Three Weeks and NO Windows usage at all.

Post by xenopeek »

Welcome to Linux Mint :) Because you installed Linux Mint with the Windows installer, it is not so easy to remove Windows. The reason being that you now have installed Linux Mint to a virtual partition--actually a big file on the Windows partition. Deleting Windows will hence just also delete Linux Mint :( I recall some guide on migrating a virtual partition to an actual partition, but I'd think it would be easier to just install Linux Mint for real. Especially if you don't want to keep Windows you can just tell Linux Mint installer to use the entire hard disk as it sees fit and it will do the rest for you.

The guide is here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MigrateWubi. (mint4win is based on wubi, so this should work.) It would require you to boot from the installation DVD, resize existing Windows partition, create new Linux partitions, and then follow the guide to migrate your mint4win installation from the virtual partition to the newly created actual partitions. If you're up to that, go ahead. Back up your important personal files first though!!!

/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

clywhite wrote:I did get a free copy of VMware Workstation from the college's program with VMware. The key expires in 2 years but it can be renewed every two years.
Have you considered using VirtualBox instead?

clywhite
Level 1
Level 1

Post by clywhite »

/dev/urandom wrote:
clywhite wrote:I did get a free copy of VMware Workstation from the college's program with VMware. The key expires in 2 years but it can be renewed every two years.
Have you considered using VirtualBox instead?
sorry for not giving a reply sooner. No, I have not really considered V-box. I did a lot or reading and everything seems to say the VB dosnt support using my nvidia grafx card drivers and things like that. With VMware I can load Windows and Play all my games...GuildWars 2, PlanetSide 2, CounterStrike GO, and all my steam games work perfectly.

Am I wrong to understand that Virtual Box will not allow me to do that?

/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

Try. :)

Fajah
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fajah »

clywhite wrote: sorry for not giving a reply sooner. No, I have not really considered V-box. I did a lot or reading and everything seems to say the VB dosnt support using my nvidia grafx card drivers and things like that. With VMware I can load Windows and Play all my games...GuildWars 2, PlanetSide 2, CounterStrike GO, and all my steam games work perfectly.

Am I wrong to understand that Virtual Box will not allow me to do that?
After experimenting with Virtual Box to run some music related Windows programs, I've found that booting to my Windows partition works way better. Most of my day to day computing is in Linux and it's served me well so far, however, I've come to the conclusion that Windows is a better environment for certain multimedia applications.
Mr. Lawrie Mann
Toronto, Canada
Partition 1: Linux LMDE/Mate
Partition 2: Windows 8 Pro

TGamel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TGamel »

clywhite wrote:I have hit the three week mark without booting into windows at all. I really like Linux.
This is not uncommon, especially on older laptops, Linux really outshines Windows Vista or Windows 7. I experienced quite a bit of speed and productivity vs Windows back when I installed Ubuntu 9 on an older laptop as well as a desktop computer. Two years later I would still be using Linux without Windows, however Adobe does not make versions of Premiere Pro or After Effects for Linux. This is the only reason I keep Windows 7 on both my i7 and i5. However, now that USB hardrives have become so inexpensive I have purchased a portable 500gb Toshiba HD to make an easy and portable version of Linux that I can swap back and forth between both of my computers. I hope to do this when I get back from vacation next week. Two years ago this was not as feasible, but with hardrive prices so cheap right now, for me it is a no brainer.

I hope you have success removing Windows if that is what you want. I am hoping that as long as my machines are set to boot the USB drive first that following the same instructions to make a bootable USB stick will work for my 500gb Toshiba USB hardrive. Looking forward to having a full blown plug and play Linux system with 500gb of storage that I can carry around in my pocket.

Todd

Return to “Newbie Questions”