Why doesn't brightness level persist after reboot - Cinnamon

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
goodwinthomas
Level 1
Level 1

Why doesn't brightness level persist after reboot - Cinnamon

Post by goodwinthomas »

I have a fresh install of Mint 13 Cinnamon. Love how clean it looks.

In the "Brightness & Lock" dialog window, the brightness level was originally set to maximum (slider was all the way to the right). I found it a bit too bright for my eyes, so I moved the slider to the middle.

Every time I power off and then boot up, though, I get to a Mint that is back at maximum brightness.

What's wrong? How can I fix this?
johananj
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Why doesn't brightness level persist after reboot - Cinn

Post by johananj »

I have the same problem too ....
could it be because the Graphics drivers are not installed properly or something ...?
goodwinthomas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by goodwinthomas »

My computer does not have a discrete graphics card, but rather an Intel intergrated card. There are no graphics card to install for my computer.
odo5435
Level 4
Level 4

Post by odo5435 »

goodwinthomas wrote:My computer does not have a discrete graphics card, but rather an Intel intergrated card.
And what might that card be? Don't you think that'd be the sort of information that you should provide to help people to help you? I apologise if I'm sounding a little pedantic but have you read this thread, particularly point No.5?
LinuxMint 14 'Nadia' 64-bit dual boot with Win' 7
Kernel: Linux 3.5.0-17-generic (x86_64) >< Cinnamon
smssms
Level 1
Level 1

Post by smssms »

I have the same problem :( Every time I start up I get full brightness screen and bluetooth on regardless of how I set them.

I'm running Mint 13 64-bit with Cinnamon on my Sony Vaio notebook (AMD Radeon™ HD 7340 Graphics, AMD E2-1800 Accelerated Processor)

EDIT

I tried adding the following to /etc/rc.local, but did not cure it (I think permission to edit is denied, even with sudo).

Code: Select all

echo 3> /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness
N.B. I used 3 as there seem to be 15 brightness levels to choose from with lower being dimmer.
goodwinthomas
Level 1
Level 1

Details on my Intel integrated graphics card

Post by goodwinthomas »

odo5435 wrote:
goodwinthomas wrote:My computer does not have a discrete graphics card, but rather an Intel intergrated card.
And what might that card be? Don't you think that'd be the sort of information that you should provide to help people to help you? I apologise if I'm sounding a little pedantic but have you read this thread, particularly point No.5?
Here is all the details that I found:
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
bk22102012
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bk22102012 »

Hey, I have the same problem (brightness setting). I install (disk installation) alongside W7.
Linux Mint 13 Maya Cinammon
Laptop: Intel Dual Core 2,1 Ghz 1 GB RAM
VGA: Intel Chipset GMA 4500.

Thank you.
smssms
Level 1
Level 1

Post by smssms »

I'm not sure if this is too stupid a question to answer or if no-one knows what to do - either way, I've had no responses about it yet...

Watch this space (and keep your fingers crossed).
bk22102012
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bk22102012 »

Should we report as bug and post to bugzilla?
Oyabunbaba
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Oyabunbaba »

Well i will research and see what we can do about it.
http://mintnext.blogspot.com/ My tips & tricks site for Mint users (^ _ ^)
webtarget
Level 3
Level 3

Post by webtarget »

I have the same problem on one of my 3 computers. It's the one with an Intel chip as well (HP Pavillion dm3ca), whereas my 2 AMD computers are fine.

I had the issue with LM 13 and 14. It's quite annoying as it sets the brightness (or I should say darkness) to it's lowest level and I have to change the setting every time I login.
andy chung
Level 1
Level 1

Post by andy chung »

Petra 32 bit, KDE, Fedora 20, win7 triple boot
PiMinto
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PiMinto »

andy chung wrote:see similar thread solved.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=119010
That solution is to install a program and run that at startup. Surely a better solution is for the default settings controller to actually work?
roblm
Level 12
Level 12

Post by roblm »

There seems to be no universal solution to this laptop problem. Some people have solved the problem by simply editing the grub file in /etc/default and
changing the line
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
to one of the following lines, and then running the command "sudo update-grub" in the Terminal.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux”
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quite splash acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi_osi="

Others have been successful installing xbacklight and configuring it's command to run at startup.

I wish someone would try using the “indicator-brightness” program and see if the settings will stay.
Run these commands in the Terminal to get it:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:indicator-brightness/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install indicator-brightness

Those with a proprietary Nvidia graphics driver installed can make changes to brightness using the
Nvidia X Server Settings utility and save the settings by manually editing the file “.nvidia-settings-rc”.

Many have been successful by adding a line to their “/etc/rc.local” file such as
echo X > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness
where X is some value for brightness.

In one of the posts above, user “smssms” says that he was unsuccessful with this method and that there may have been a permission problem.
I am wondering if any of the other users in this topic tried this method.

To use this method, you should first set the brightness level you desire. Then open the Terminal and type
cat /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

A number will be displayed which corresponds to the current brightness level. Then substitute this value for the X in the line above.

In the Terminal type “gksudo gedit /etc/rc.local” and add this line just above the line “exit 0”. Save the file and reboot.

If this method fails, there could be a permission problem. Change the line to the following:
echo X | sudo tee /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

If this fails, then the “acpi_video0” part in the line may need to be changed to the words of the video driver manufacturer's folder name.

You can use the command “ls /sys/class/backlight” in the Terminal to display the correct name to use or just go to “/sys/class/backlight” and look for a folder with a name such as “intel_backlight” for an intel driver.

Also, look at the other files in this folder besides "brightness". One of the other names may need to be used. For example, the “intel-backlight” folder may have a file called "actual_brightness". The line would then be:
echo X > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/actual_brightness

If this doesn't work, then you may need to get updated drivers.
PiMinto
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PiMinto »

roblm wrote:There seems to be no universal solution to this laptop problem. Some people have solved the problem by simply editing the grub file in /etc/default and
changing the line
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
to one of the following lines, and then running the command "sudo update-grub" in the Terminal.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux”
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quite splash acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="acpi_osi="

Others have been successful installing xbacklight and configuring it's command to run at startup.

I wish someone would try using the “indicator-brightness” program and see if the settings will stay.
Run these commands in the Terminal to get it:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:indicator-brightness/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install indicator-brightness

Those with a proprietary Nvidia graphics driver installed can make changes to brightness using the
Nvidia X Server Settings utility and save the settings by manually editing the file “.nvidia-settings-rc”.

Many have been successful by adding a line to their “/etc/rc.local” file such as
echo X > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness
where X is some value for brightness.

In one of the posts above, user “smssms” says that he was unsuccessful with this method and that there may have been a permission problem.
I am wondering if any of the other users in this topic tried this method.

To use this method, you should first set the brightness level you desire. Then open the Terminal and type
cat /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

A number will be displayed which corresponds to the current brightness level. Then substitute this value for the X in the line above.

In the Terminal type “gksudo gedit /etc/rc.local” and add this line just above the line “exit 0”. Save the file and reboot.

If this method fails, there could be a permission problem. Change the line to the following:

If this fails, then the “acpi_video0” part in the line may need to be changed to the words of the video driver manufacturer's folder name.

You can use the command “ls /sys/class/backlight” in the Terminal to display the correct name to use or just go to “/sys/class/backlight” and look for a folder with a name such as “intel_backlight” for an intel driver.

Also, look at the other files in this folder besides "brightness". One of the other names may need to be used. For example, the “intel-backlight” folder may have a file called "actual_brightness". The line would then be:
echo X > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/actual_brightness

If this doesn't work, then you may need to get updated drivers.
Great post, very informative - thanks!

Using "gksudo gedit /etc/rc.local" method the value is written to the file, but for some reason does not make any difference. I've confirmed that the files/directory structure is correct.

Using xbacklight works to set the brightness at startup, but if the screen dims (I'm often away from the machine) then it comes back full brightness.

I'm going to install indicator-brightness now and will report back in a few days.
roblm
Level 12
Level 12

Post by roblm »

PiMinto,

Try running the command
in the Terminal, to see if you can change the brightness. The "X" will be changed to the number you used.
If there is no change, then can you post the results of using this command in Terminal:

grep . /sys/class/backlight/*/*

Another command that has been used is Xrandr, for example:
xrandr --output LVDS1 --brightness 0.n
where n= 3 to 9
where LVDS1 is the connected output name found by running the command:
xrandr --verbose
Here is the result for my desktop computer. It only shows the top 3 lines.

rlm1@linuxmint ~ $ xrandr --verbose
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 8192 x 8192
DVI-I-1 connected 1280x1024+0+0 (0x65) normal (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 376mm x 301mm

The output name is DVI-I-1

Some users have reported that lowering the brightness with this method doesn't prolong the battery life.

Another command that has been used successfully by many is Setpci
sudo setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=XX
where XX is a hexadecimal value from 00 to FF. Here is a conversion table from several sites.

hex values: 42, 56, 70, 92, AF, CC, E5, FF
brightness: 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100

Most topics I've read say FF is 100% brightness but a few topics have just the opposite, depending on your system.
I have never seen the hex values AF, CC, or E5 used by anyone but just FF and numbers such as 40, 50 or 80.

Replace the value 00:02.0 in the command above with your device address, which is obtained by running the command
lspci | grep VGA
This command can also be added to the "/etc/rc.local" file to keep the value at each startup. I've also read that this command can potentially cause other problems for your system.
Last edited by roblm on Sun May 12, 2013 12:26 pm, edited 7 times in total.
laptopscreens
Level 1
Level 1

Which is often damaging to laptops?

Post by laptopscreens »

While cleaning a laptop may be pretty straightforward, there is certainly definitely the right and wrong path to take over it. It is just a good option to supply your laptop good cleaning every couple of months, to ensure that it stays in great shape. This may actually prolong living of your respective laptop, as it could keep harmful dust from building up within the vents, which often can cause overheating.

Generally speaking, always avoid any harsh cleaning products, especially about the laptop's screen, and abrasive sponges or cloths really should be avoided too. The very best items to use undoubtedly are a soft cloth, some cotton swabs, along with a can of compressed air. Also, a small-powered dyson is useful in case you have one.In the event you follow these few easy steps every several months, your laptop is not going to remain very clean, however you will help to ensure its safe operation for decades in the future and less repairs caused by overheating attributable to dust.

Before beginning cleaning, power down laptops completely, take away the battery, and unplug it through the wall. Disconnect all cables. Start by blowing compressed air into every one of the vents, dislodging any dust that may have piled up. You should also blow air into any ports and slots around the laptop, when they can have attracted dust also. Blow compressed air involving the laptop keyboard secrets to blow any dust and dirt which could have gotten between keys.

If you have an exceptionally low powered carpet cleaner, like a Dust Buster, you might need to run it very lightly above the keyboard surface and round the vents to attempt to remove any loose dust. Higher-powered hoovers will not be recommended, however, as they possibly can sometimes create a lot of static electricity, which is often damaging to laptops.

Next, you are able to clean the outer plus the surfaces on the laptop with all the soft cloth. Dampen it slightly with many water or maybe a cleaning solution intended for cleaning laptops. NEVER spray the answer close to laptops, however rather spray it about the cloth itself. When cleaning the screen, it is suggested that you simply only utilize a cloth lightly dampened with water. Cleaning solutions like Windex may damage the screen. While you can find cleaning products designed for LCD screens, water usually works very well.

tags:Acer laptop screen
Asus laptop screen
Apple laptop screen
Dell laptop screen
HP laptop screen
PiMinto
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PiMinto »

roblm wrote:PiMinto,

Try running the command
in the Terminal, to see if you can change the brightness. The "X" will be changed to the number you used.
That command does change the brightness. The problem remains one of the setting being lost after screen dims, or reboot. (I thought I posted this on Friday but it seems it never went through)
roblm
Level 12
Level 12

Post by roblm »

PiMinto,
It appears that commands put in /etc/rc.local are not being executed now, like they were in the past. I've been doing some research into this the last several days and others report this also. Most of the information from my first post is from analyzing information from Ubuntu forums and there's not a lot of info from Mint forums on this matter. Most of the time, what works in Ubuntu also works in Mint. I personally don't have a laptop so I can't test that command but I've been trying other commands and none have worked. Temporarily, you can try the following procedure that should work. You can run the command:
xgamma -gamma X
in the Terminal, where "X" is a value below 1.0 to lower the gamma, which has a similar effect as decreasing the brightness. Most people would not know the difference as to whether the gamma or brightness was changed when small changes are made. I have my gamma set at .9
You can experiment around with different values and then add the command to "Startup Applications", so the setting will apply at each system startup. Click on "Add" and you can put "Gamma" in the "Name" window and in the "Command" window put the same command above, where "X" is the value you got from testing. So for my own system the line would be:
xgamma -gamma .9

The line "echo X > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness", where "X" is your present brightness value, could also be put into a script and put on the
desktop, but you would have to activate it each time at system startup unless a way could be found to add it to "Startup Applications". If I had a laptop, then I
would try to figure this out.
PiMinto
Level 3
Level 3

Post by PiMinto »

Thanks roblm, your efforts are appreciated.

I'm using indicator-brightness now which provides the option to change the brightness by clicking on the panel icon, so it's as good a work-around as any.

Return to “Newbie Questions”