A single click of mouse is acting like double click

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
fairgo
Level 1
Level 1

A single click of mouse is acting like double click

Post by fairgo » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:16 pm

Hi,

My very first post ..and very green to linux....infact my very first distro :)

Very excited and hope to add to the community as I learn more myself...

Now for my issue:

When I click anything....when pressing it down...it acts like one click...and when i release the mouse button....it acts as another click.

So for e.g. if i click the menu button......it opens & closes really fast....and this is getting very annoying.

i basically have to click and hold down my mouse button on menu...then drag the mouse somewhere in the empty space of the menu to let go of the click....

Anyone else having this issue?

its not the mouse (hardware problem) because I tested it on anotehr operating system.....and its working fine.
its a clean install of mint 64 bit (maya-mate)....
i didnt mess around with the terminal at all.
and i have this problem as soon as i install mint, and even after i do all the updates.

Thanks!
Amer

fairgo
Level 1
Level 1

Re: A single click of mouse is acting like double click

Post by fairgo » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:43 am

I think I got it!

The problem is the mouse drivers....

Because when i borrowed a mouse from a friend its working fine....only with this one it is having this issue.

Its a generic brand mouse: Sky (dont know if anyone heard of it) for the most part i actually found it much better than many branded mice...

Oh well...I will get on a hunt to see if i can get better drivers for this...otherwise I will simply replace the mouse :)

although not really sure how to install new drivers in linux....will try to find the answer myself first before posting here.

Sequoiah66
Level 1
Level 1

Returns! Re: A single click of mouse is acting like double c

Post by Sequoiah66 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:42 pm

I had the same trouble a few months ago and ended up using a different mouse. Now that mouse is having the same troubles, only MUCH WORSE!! Hence, it very likely isn't the mouse and I am out of other mice to try.

By the way, I'm using 32 bit version on a Dell D620 with docking station. Using the PS2 port.

Anyone know how to check and see if a driver is loaded twice / activating twice with each click?

Thanks,
-- S

osiris32
Level 1
Level 1

Post by osiris32 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:33 am

Not sure if anyone found a solution to this. I had 1 mouse not clicking and another double clicking. I know it is not my mice.

I remembered the other day turning on disable touchpad while typing. I turned that option back off and now everything seems to be working as it should.

If anyone knows a better fix for this please share.

Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E535
Linux Mint 15 running Cinnamon

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:30 am

In Mint Mate you open the file browser, clk on Edit, then on Preferences. Under Behavior you'll see a place to choose "double click"
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

osiris32
Level 1
Level 1

Post by osiris32 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:11 pm

Spearmint2 wrote:In Mint Mate you open the file browser, clk on Edit, then on Preferences. Under Behavior you'll see a place to choose "double click"
No my mouse is clicking multiple times randomly. Another mouse was randomly choosing not to click. I think its a video / mouse driver issue but not sure.

Royi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Royi » Fri May 18, 2018 4:12 pm

osiris32 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:11 pm
Spearmint2 wrote:In Mint Mate you open the file browser, clk on Edit, then on Preferences. Under Behavior you'll see a place to choose "double click"
No my mouse is clicking multiple times randomly. Another mouse was randomly choosing not to click. I think its a video / mouse driver issue but not sure.
I have the same issue (AMD GPU + Linux Mint 18.3).
Have you been able to solve this?

Return to “Newbie Questions”