Mint 13 won't connect to wifi? [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jaderiver
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint 13 won't connect to wifi?

Post by jaderiver »

Actually, I did have to add "sudo" to those commands (e.g. sudo rmmod iwlwifi; sudo modprobe iwlwifi bt_coex_active=0).

Mastermind16x appears to have the same setup as me: (computer model - Asus U56E); also dual-booting WIN 7 along with Mint 13 MATE. Logic dictates his Asus would also have the Intel Centrino 6150 card. My question is: Wouldn't mastermind16x's Mint 13 Mate OS also use the iwlwifi driver and not iwlagn to deal with the same wifi setup as mine? :?

jaderiver
Last edited by jaderiver on Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASUS U56E 64-bit Mint 21.2 MATE Victoria No longer dualbooting WIN 7 and surviving
T-Mobile 5G or 4GLTE hotspot
; WiFi/Tether to Android hotspot
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

jaderiver wrote:Logic dictates his Asus would also have the Intel Centrino 6150 card
Not necessarily. Manufacturers often use different components in their product ranges with identical model numbers.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Like I said, the driver being named iwlagn or iwlwifi depends on the Mint version that you use. It is the same driver, it just got renamed at some point.

For Intel, any "Centrino 6150" card should be the same, though versions with and without Bluetooth may exist.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
mastermind16X

Post by mastermind16X »

The driver my computer says it has is iwlwifi, but the terminal codes (for connecting) worked when I used iwlagn. What's up with this?

I Mint 13 is now considerably faster, but it is still noticeably slower than Windows. The speed test site said that the connection was faster than before, but quite a bit slower than Windows. Are the commands I was given permanent, or do I need to make them permanent in the pluma file?
mastermind16X

Post by mastermind16X »

I also can't connect to my home network. I think I mentioned this earlier, but the exact thing happens as it did before I applied the internet terminal fix. Is there any reason why this is happening? Do I need to do something else in the terminal to get internet working at home, or do I need to make some changes to the router?
mastermind16X

Post by mastermind16X »

Never mind, I just kept messing up the wifi code. Everything works just fine now.
wsv311

Post by wsv311 »

I too am having issues with mint cinimon it seems to want to connect to wifi and asks for my passcode but instad of letting me connect, it gives me the cancel key only for input. please note that I have connected with a cable but not wireless. tried mintwifi but can't cut and paste as they are grayed out and ctl c ; ctlv not working either. new to linux so sorry for newbie goofs
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

@ wsv311: Please open a new topic for this.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Beginner Questions”