[Solved] missing app after gdebi install on cinnamon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PcMojo

[Solved] missing app after gdebi install on cinnamon

Post by PcMojo »

I downloaded a deb file and it didn't give me the option of using the Software Center or Synaptic, which is what I am used to. It only allowed Gdebi. After it was installed, I can't find the application on the menu. I've tried the "which" command but still can't find it. The application is referred to as "pencil project" (two words) and the deb file is evoluspencil_2.0.2-1_i386.deb. I've scrolled through /usr/bin and can't find either. Can anyone offer a suggestion on how to find the installed application? Is there a log file I could check that will give me a path? Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: missing app after gdebi install on cinnamon

Post by xenopeek »

Open a terminal and run:

Code: Select all

dpkg -L evoluspencil
Should show you all the files installed from this package. Or find the package in Synaptic and check its list of installed files there (its the same list).
PcMojo

Post by PcMojo »

I appreciate your help, but so far no joy. When I use the dpkg command I get:
$ dpkg -L evoluspencil
Package `evoluspencil' is not installed.
Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.

I'm pretty sure Gdebi installed the program because it gave a confirmation at the end and there weren't any errors. Dpkg won't let me use the * wildcard, so apparently I have to use the exact name, which seems to be the problem. I've also tried the following:

$ dpkg -L evol*
dpkg-query: error: package name in specifier 'evol*' is illegal: character `*' not allowed (only letters, digits and characters `-+._')

$ dpkg -L evoluspencil_2.0.2-1_i386.deb
Package `evoluspencil_2.0.2-1_i386.deb' is not installed.

$ dpkg -L evoluspencil_2.0.2-1_i386
Package `evoluspencil_2.0.2-1_i386' is not installed.
“find the package in Synaptic and check its list of installed files”
Synaptic shows a evolution-dataserver-common (installed) and evolution-dataserver-dev (not installed), which I think are something else entirely. I think part of the problem was I could only use Gdebi and since I didn't use Synaptic or Software center for installation, neither are aware of the installation in their histories, which compounds the problem.

I normally only use Synaptic or Software Center precisely to avoid this type of problem. I rarely download packages from the internet, even from what many consider are trusted sources. Now I have a non-functioning application that I can't find. If I can't use it, I'd like to uninstall it, not only from a wasted resource perspective, but just from a security standpoint. But I can't uninstall it unless I can find it or figure out it's name. Do you know of any log files that would show "this user wrote (installed) this file to this path at this time" or have any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

the app name is pencil
this is part the content of the deb:

Code: Select all

zerozero@deb-kde ~/Downloads/evoluspencil_2.0.2-1_i386 $ find -type d
./usr
./usr/bin
./usr/share
./usr/share/pencil
./usr/share/pencil/locale
./usr/share/pencil/locale/en-US
./usr/share/pencil/locale/vi
./usr/share/pencil/skin
./usr/share/pencil/skin/classic
./usr/share/pencil/skin/classic/win
./usr/share/pencil/skin/classic/win/images
./usr/share/pencil/skin/classic/win/images/moblin
./usr/share/pencil/skin/classic/win/images/MozIcons
./usr/share/pencil/skin/classic/win/images/MozIcons/stock
./usr/share/pencil/skin/classic/win/images/MozIcons/stock/menu
./usr/share/pencil/skin/classic/win/images/MozIcons/stock/toolbar
./usr/share/pencil/skin/classic/mac
./usr/share/pencil/skin/classic/images
./usr/share/pencil/skin/classic/images/moblin
./usr/share/pencil/skin/classic/images/mono-24
./usr/share/pencil/skin/classic/images/toolbar
./usr/share/pencil/skin/classic/images/Editor
./usr/share/pencil/skin/classic/images/MozIcons
./usr/share/pencil/skin/classic/images/MozIcons/stock
./usr/share/pencil/skin/classic/images/MozIcons/stock/menu
./usr/share/pencil/skin/classic/images/MozIcons/stock/toolbar
./usr/share/pencil/chrome
./usr/share/pencil/chrome/icons
./usr/share/pencil/chrome/icons/default
./usr/share/pencil/xre
./usr/share/pencil/xre/components
./usr/share/pencil/xre/chrome
./usr/share/pencil/xre/chrome/icons
./usr/share/pencil/xre/chrome/icons/default
./usr/share/pencil/xre/dictionaries
./usr/share/pencil/xre/icons
./usr/share/pencil/xre/plugins                                                          
./usr/share/pencil/defaults                                                             
./usr/share/pencil/defaults/preferences                                                 
./usr/share/pencil/content                                                              
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil                                                       
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/common                                                
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/editor                                                
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/definition                                            
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/stencil                                               
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/stencil/Annotation                                    
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/stencil/Annotation/Icons                              
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/stencil/WindowsXP-GUI                                 
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/stencil/WindowsXP-GUI/Icons                           
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/stencil/Gtk.GUI
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/stencil/Gtk.GUI/Icons
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/stencil/SketchyGUI
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/stencil/SketchyGUI/Icons
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/stencil/BasicWebElements
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/stencil/BasicWebElements/Icons
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/stencil/iOS-Wireframe
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/stencil/iOS-Wireframe/Icons
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/stencil/Android.GUI
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/stencil/Android.GUI/Icons
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/stencil/iOS.GUI
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/stencil/iOS.GUI/Icons
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/stencil/Native.GUI
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/stencil/Native.GUI/Icons
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/stencil/Native.GUI/Icons/group
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/stencil/Common
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/stencil/Common/Icons
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/stencil/Flowchart
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/stencil/Flowchart/Icons
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/target
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/document
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/templates
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/templates/HTML
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/templates/HTML/default.HTML
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/templates/HTML/default.HTML/Resources
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/templates/Print
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/templates/Print/default.print
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/templates/Print/default.print/Resources
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/templates/ODT
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/templates/ODT/default.ODT
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/templates/ODT/default.ODT/META-INF
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/templates/ODT/default.ODT/Pictures
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/templates/ODT/default.ODT/Thumbnails
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/templates/ODT/default.ODT/Configurations2
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/templates/ODT/default.ODT/Configurations2/menubar
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/templates/ODT/default.ODT/Configurations2/progressbar
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/templates/ODT/default.ODT/Configurations2/floater
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/templates/ODT/default.ODT/Configurations2/statusbar
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/templates/ODT/default.ODT/Configurations2/toolbar
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/templates/ODT/default.ODT/Configurations2/images
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/templates/ODT/default.ODT/Configurations2/images/Bitmaps
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/templates/ODT/default.ODT/Configurations2/accelerator
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/templates/ODT/default.ODT/Configurations2/popupmenu
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/privateCollection
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/bindings
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/propertyType
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/canvasHelper
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/exporter
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/xferHelper
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/clipartBrowser
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/behavior
./usr/share/pencil/content/pencil/n-patch
./usr/share/pencil/icons
./usr/share/pencil/icons/default
./usr/share/doc
./usr/share/doc/evoluspencil
./usr/share/applications
zerozero@deb-kde ~/Downloads/evoluspencil_2.0.2-1_i386 $ 
PcMojo

Post by PcMojo »

Maybe that's the problem. I have two applications named Pencil. When I was looking for Pencil Project in Synaptic, I came across Pencil (the graphics application) and installed it. Which is what I have under /usr/bin/pencil and /usr/share/pencil -all files seem to be for Pencil the graphic program. 10 minutes later I tried to install Pencil Project. It didn't seem to write anything in the Pencil directories, it all seems to be from the graphic application Pencil. But I didn't get an error either. Gdebi said it was installed. Do you think it renamed it? I've manually scrolled through directories and can't find anything that looks close to the name. I wanted to reinstall the deb package through Synaptic or something besides Gdebi, but haven't had any luck. When I try to open it in Synaptic, it's greyed out and won't allow me to select it. Any ideas? Can I manually change something in the deb file to install in another directory? Should I uninstall the Pencil graphic app?
PcMojo

Post by PcMojo »

That was the problem! Two different applications called Pencil! :oops: After I uninstalled the graphics program Pencil. I reinstalled the evolus Pencil (or Pencil Project) deb file in Gdebi. It said that it was already installed. I'm not sure where, because I looked everywhere and it wasn't under any of the /pencil/ directories, only the other application files where in there. I just clicked on reinstall and everything is fine. The application is on the menu under Programming and works fine. I have a dual boot and installed the other Pencil application, which I'm fond of, on my Ubuntu Studio partition. Thanks for the help!

Return to “Beginner Questions”