Increase all apps font size

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
magiza83
Level 1
Level 1

Increase all apps font size

Post by magiza83 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:58 am

Hello,

I'm new in Mint13, before I was using ubuntu as desktop (HTPC) system. My problem is the following, I would like to increase the font size in all apps. I have the HTPC connected to a 40' LCD screen, and from my sofa I need bigger fonts to read everything correctly, I've found some config rules (control planel) to change it, but not all the apps use this font size. For example, firefox does it and also icons and text in desktop, but not menus in windows explorer, left corner menu or ktorrent.

Specially in this app, ktorrent, by default the font size is too small and it's almost impossible to read anything.

Do you know if there is opction to do what I want? I've been search through the forum but I just found some answer about "dconf-tools" but I had no time to test it.

Thanks for your help, and sorry for my english, it's not my native language.

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Increase all apps font size

Post by remoulder » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:02 pm

Use Accessibility options to increase system wide font sizes, though some applications may require you to change sizes within their own preferences. For Firefox you can use the nosquint addon.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

magiza83
Level 1
Level 1

Post by magiza83 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:54 am

Hello,

i didn't find Accessibility options in mate desktop and any option has modified font size in ktorrent. So, I've tried to install xfce, wondering that maybe was a Mate desktop problem with Ktorrent, and I was right, with xfce the font size in all apps are correctly changed when I increase the size in apparence options.

The main problem is I prefer Mate, but if this option is not available I will change my desktop to xfce.

any recomendations?

Thanks & Regards.

den68
Level 1
Level 1

Post by den68 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:12 am

Hi,
you might have tried already but in Mate, have you been in Control Center -> Appearance -> Fonts ?
there, you can just change the size as you wish

cwsnyder
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cwsnyder » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:39 am

If you have a large enough monitor, you can also simply change your monitor resolution to a lower number which is in proportion to your monitors native resolution. That will make EVERYTHING larger, not just your fonts. For example, just about every monitor supports 800x600 resolution.
LMDE Mate 64-bit, LM17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit
Debian Mate 64-bit, Xubuntu xenial 64-bit, Ubuntu-Mate 14.04 64-bit, Antergos Xfce 64-bit, PCLinuxOS Mate 64-bit

Return to “Newbie Questions”