Xbox 360 controller thumbstick problems

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bread

Xbox 360 controller thumbstick problems

Post by Bread »

Hey everyone,

I have this little problem I love my gaming :D But I am also a noob at linux.

When playing games I use a Xbox 360 controller and I love how its just plug and play!

But my problem is that right thumbstick / shoulder triggers are not working as they should be? The shoulder triggers work as a thumbstick (which is wrong) and the right thumbstick dose not work so well? (But the controller works 100%)

The game I am using it on is team fortress 2 and it dose allow controller support!

Doing a bit of google I found this:
http://community.linuxmint.com/hardware/view/9663 Says I need to downloaded python script to split the axis of the thumbsticks. But I don't know where I can find one?

I found this on the forums "A word of warning: if you need to use the right thumbstick or shoulder triggers then you need to recalibrate them using the programs jscal or jstest-gtk ("sudo apt-get install joystick jstest-gtk") everytime you plug the gamepad in. Other than that, the D-pad, left stick and face buttons all work right off the bat." But I cant get my jstest-gtk working right? :c

The middle one is my right thunbstick, As you can see it is going to the left and I am not evening touching it..

Thanks
-Bread

Ps I am running Linux Mint 13 Maya 32 bit MATE.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tommywright

Re: Xbox 360 controller thumbstick problems

Post by tommywright »

I have the same issue on Mint 14. :( Sucks that nobody knows how to get this working (the original post is from last year). I was so excited about Steam but can't even get the freakin controller to work. :roll:
Tamdrik

Post by Tamdrik »

I had the same issue in Mint 15 and resolved it by clicking on the "Mapping" button in jstest-gtk and moving ABS_Z from Axis 2 to Axis 4 (drag and drop). For some reason Mint by default is mapping the left trigger to the up/down axis on the right thumbstick (and the right thumbstick axes are correspondingly mis-mapped).
DracoMagister

Post by DracoMagister »

I'm having the same problem. Mapping as Tamdrik said works, but do I have to remap every time I plug in the controller or I can do something to avoid this future times?

Return to “Beginner Questions”