Disable "Authentication is Required" messages

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
kadama

Disable "Authentication is Required" messages

Post by kadama » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:17 pm

Hi all,

I would like to disable all the "Authentication is Required" messages that I see when I click on Synaptic Package Manager or Update Manager. I find it stupid that I have to authenticate every time. Do you know how I can disable them?

Thanks in advance!

goinglinux
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Disable "Authentication is Required" messages

Post by goinglinux » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:24 pm

The requirement to enter your username and password to install software is one of the reasons Linux is more secure than other operating systems. An automated script is less likely to be able to install malicious software if you need to provide authentication before any installation can occur.

You can configure Mint to remember your credentials for 15 minutes so that if you are installing several packages you don't have to enter them for each installation. Sorry I can't find the link right now. In the mean time, you might want to read this thread on the topic. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=70031
Ubuntu MATE 18.04 64-bit · Dell XPS 13 9360 · Core i7 · 16GB RAM · 512 GB NVMe SSD

kadama

Post by kadama » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:31 pm

Thanks "goinglinux" for your reply but this doesn't answer my question. Security is not an issue for me. I didn't choose Linux because it's secure but because it's lighter and faster to use. Authentication is spoiling this experience.
goinglinux wrote: You can configure Mint to remember your credentials for 15 minutes so that if you are installing several packages you don't have to enter them for each installation.
I don't want to disable the authentication messages just to install packages. I want to disable them right after the installation and forget about them. It's really annoying to stop every now and then to enter a password.

Inkit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Inkit » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:11 am

Anything that you do at the user level does not create this problem. Only when you want elevated previlages will you get the prompt. If you like to install a bunch of software use synaptic. This way you only enter the password only once when the application opens. Software manager may be more user friendly in other ways, but not in this. Wantonly disabling a security feature is not a good idea and you'll be hard pressed to find anyone here willing to help you do this.

kadama

Post by kadama » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:49 pm

Hi Inkit,

thanks for your reply but again my question is not answered. As I clearly explained in my previous post
kadama wrote: I don't want to disable the authentication messages just to install packages. I want to disable them right after the installation and forget about them. It's really annoying to stop every now and then to enter a password.

and
kadama wrote: Security is not an issue for me.
So your reply doesn't answer my question.

I don't want to create another post with thousands of replies and no REAL ANSWER. If you search online you 'll see that a lot of people are looking for this answer.

Please respond only if you know the answer. Any other replies and comments will only derail the conversation.

Thanks in advance!!

domaine72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by domaine72 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:09 pm

i would love to disable the authentication too for the update manager,is plain stupid that is required the authentication after the first one per session, i'ts still me, i authenticated 1 minute ago, come on give me a break and remember that i already gave you a password not long ago.

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:18 am

Old Threads: It is 'best' to start another Thread. [Topic LOCKED]

Posting in old threads, or "necrobumping" is generally discouraged in the technical issue subforums, since it can potentially create disjointed "zombie" information; outdated posts with data which is no longer relevant due to LinuxMint 'future' updates, combined with more recent posts reflecting more current circumstance.

Furthermore, technical support threads should remain succinct, and multiple pages are to be avoided if possible.
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

Return to “Newbie Questions”