Hiding (not removing) foreign language fonts

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
3×5

Hiding (not removing) foreign language fonts

Post by 3×5 »

Is there a way to simply hide them? I like being able to see foreign languages. If I'm on Wikipedia, I like seeing the name of the Taj Mahal in Hindi, rather than squares or garbled characters. However, I don't read or write in this language and would never need to select it from a list of fonts in Gimp, in my text editor or anywhere else.

It's hard to select fonts for designing when I have so many option in my dropdown, and so many of them are useless to me. Are there any ways to hide these foreign fonts from dropdowns?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Hiding (not removing) foreign language fonts

Post by xenopeek »

AFAIK you either have the font, or you don't. Unless GIMP or your text editor themselves have some option to not list certain installed fonts.

But to be clear, I can see the hindi writing for Taj Mahal perfectly fine and I have uninstalled all non-western fonts. That's because the western fonts are Unicode fonts and so have have characters for non-western languages as well.

Steps to clear up the mess are here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... =0#p617299. This is for Linux Mint 13, if you are on Linux Mint 14 there are a couple of additional fonts to remove (fonts-lklug-sinhala fonts-sil-abyssinica fonts-sil-padauk fonts-tibetan-machine).
3×5

Re: Hiding (not removing) foreign language fonts

Post by 3×5 »

OK, well you definately answered my question, then. I remember when I was on Windows, if you removed the foreign fonts, suddenly you couldn't see any non-roman characters anywhere. I'll uninstall them now. thank you!

Return to “Beginner Questions”