Unable to mount Floppy Disk

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ave13co

Post by ave13co »

Just finished installing Mint 14 Nadia. Formatted harddrive and downloaded iso from this site.
Whats the deal with the floppy on my system? First thing after booting to new install and I see the following.....

Error mounting system-managed device /dev/fd0: Command-line `mount "/media/floppy0"' exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device

Thanks in advance..ave13co :?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: Unable to mount Floppy Disk

Post by cwsnyder »

First, do you actually have a floppy drive installed in your computer? Second, was said floppy drive working under your previous operating system?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Please run this command in terminal to mount your floppy:

Code: Select all

udisks --mount /dev/fd0
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Another thing to check is whether there is a floppy interface enabled in the BIOS even if there's no actual drive in the machine.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Gord

Post by Gord »

remoulder wrote:Another thing to check is whether there is a floppy interface enabled in the BIOS even if there's no actual drive in the machine.
That was the tip I needed to fix the problem on my VMware virtual machine: it had no floppy drive but the VM's BIOS thought that it did. Thanks!
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

@ave13co, if you are still having this issue, please open a terminal and copy/paste here the output of lsmod

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Further info at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1054414 particularly #42/43. The issue may be fixed when the updates filter down

Anto

Post by Anto »

Hello,
Gord wrote:
remoulder wrote:Another thing to check is whether there is a floppy interface enabled in the BIOS even if there's no actual drive in the machine.
That was the tip I needed to fix the problem on my VMware virtual machine: it had no floppy drive but the VM's BIOS thought that it did. Thanks!
I think I'm facing exactly the same issue: but how did you access your VMware Bios ? I'm hammering the F2 key during the VM's startup, but can't access it.
Gord

Post by Gord »

Anto wrote:
Gord wrote:
I think I'm facing exactly the same issue: but how did you access your VMware Bios ? I'm hammering the F2 key during the VM's startup, but can't access it.
It can be a bit tricky because keyboard input needs to be directed to the virtual machine. The most reliable way to do it is to restart the virtual machine and not click anything outside the VM window while it reboots. That way the keyboard remains "connected" to the VM and passes your [F2] to the VM BIOS so you can get into the Setup menus. (You can do it on the initial boot but you have to make sure that you click inside the VM window at just the right moment before the setup prompt goes away.)
schubert

Post by schubert »

Anto wrote:Hello,
Gord wrote:
I use VMWare Workstation 8, there is a menu item /Power->Power On to BIOS
eco2geek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eco2geek »

remoulder wrote:Further info at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1054414 particularly #42/43. The issue may be fixed when the updates filter down
Thanks for that. I got the error message the OP mentions after installing Nadia 14 MATE, and I do have a real floppy installed on my physical system. Simply blacklisting the "floppy" module in /etc/modprobe.d stopped the error message. Of course, I can no longer mount a floppy disk, but then it was hardly ever used anyway. :wink:
smackoz

Post by smackoz »

Gord wrote:
Anto wrote:
Gord wrote:That was the tip I needed to fix the problem on my VMware virtual machine: it had no floppy drive but the VM's BIOS thought that it did. Thanks!
It can be a bit tricky because keyboard input needs to be directed to the virtual machine. The most reliable way to do it is to restart the virtual machine and not click anything outside the VM window while it reboots. That way the keyboard remains "connected" to the VM and passes your [F2] to the VM BIOS so you can get into the Setup menus. (You can do it on the initial boot but you have to make sure that you click inside the VM window at just the right moment before the setup prompt goes away.)
This did the trick nicely for VMware Fusion 5. :D I disabled the fdd in the the VMware Bios. No more "Unable to mount Floppy Disk" error message in Linux Mint 14.1.

:roll:
johnston73

Post by johnston73 »

+1
Gord wrote:
oxman

Post by oxman »

My problem is that my floppy also is used to mount other types of memory storage devices such as SD or mini SD.

Return to “Beginner Questions”