Mint not properly configured for my Laptop?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
DaveS2
Level 1
Level 1

Mint not properly configured for my Laptop?

Post by DaveS2 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:40 am

Hi there,

I just got a new Laptop and thought to myself, might aswell get into Linux. So after I asked around a friend recommended Mint. I got the newest Version on there, Dualboot with Win8.

My Laptop is a HP 655.

Unfortunately Mint behaves weird. Maybe I forgot something. As I said I'm new to Linux so I need to find all the ropes first.

Aynway, my Laptop has function keys like any other laptop. Only Mint wont react on them. Win8 works fine with them.

When I push the brightness keys, onscreen it shows me where the brightness should be, but nothing changes. to the brightness.
I already tried to change the value in the file that controls it, but It did nothing. The value goes up and down when I push the button but it stays at what seems the highest brightness setting.

Sound also wont work via the function keys.

And my wireless lan functionkey displays a red light and nothing happens when I push it. I tried to activate the wireless via UI but it tells me "you have to switch it on via a switch on the outside of your laptop"....that would be my function key but no luck there. Again: Win8 works perfectly with that.

Anyideas on what is wrong? Maybe I need some drivers from somewhere?

Thanks in advance!

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Mint not properly configured for my Laptop?

Post by remoulder » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:15 pm

DaveS2 wrote:not properly configured for my Laptop?
Unfortunately manufactures make laptops aimed at Windows because that's where they make money, They generally don't provide much support in the way of drivers for linux so linux developers have to write them themselves. This sometimes means some features on laptops don't work properly if at all. As you have a HP laptop the hp-wmi driver may provide these functions but it's not guaranteed.

To check open a terminal from the menu under Accessories and enter

Code: Select all

lsmod |grep hp
(Hint click SELECT ALL then copy/paste into the terminal using the right mouse button and press enter).

If you see a line with the words hp-wmi followed by some numbers then you have the driver already. If the cursor just goes to the next line then you don't so in the terminal enter

sudo modprobe hp-wmi
and test your function keys to see if there's any change. If it works then reboot and check again. If it's still working then there's nothing left to do, if not open the terminal again and enter

echo "hp-wmi"  |sudo tee -a /etc/modules
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

DaveS2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DaveS2 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:25 pm

thanks for the answer remoulder,

I tried your first suggestion and yes, it appears I already have the driver.

so my only hope to get wireless and functionkeys would be to write a driver myself or wait for someone to make one?

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:58 am

DaveS2 wrote:so my only hope
Not quite, there are a few more things to try. For the backlight control try the following:

Open a terminal and enter

gksu gedit /etc/default/grub
When the editor opens find the line which says GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" and insert between the ""

acpi_backlight=vendor
then save and close the editor. In the terminal enter

sudo update-grub
and once complete restart the machine and test.

For the wifi, we need more info so again open a terminal and copy/paste back here the outputs of

rfkill list
inxi -Nx

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

DaveS2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DaveS2 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:59 pm

Ok I tried the first thing. After the reboot they keys for brightness won't display the bar anymore. I tried to change the backlight value via terminal to no avail.

the second thing gives me:

~ $ rfkill list
0: hp-wifi: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: yes
	Hard blocked: yes
1: phy0: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: yes
	Hard blocked: yes

~ $ inxi -Nx
Network:   Card-1 Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller 
           driver r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port 2000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           Card-2 Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter driver ath9k bus-ID: 04:00.0

That of any help?

Also: My VGA controller appears to be ATI Technologies Inc Device 9808, at least that is what mint gives me. Also If I go and look for the screen setting it displays the screen as unknown.

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:22 pm

Ok, for the screen brightness you might want to undo the changes by following the commands again, removing the acpi_backlight=vendor so you just have the "".

For the display open Software Sources from the menu or Software Manager or mintupdate's Edit menu and you should the last tab should be Drivers. On that tab 'should' be listed the recommended AMD driver which you might try installing.

On the wifi the Hard blocked: yes usually means the toggle switch is set to off but as you say it isn't working try in a terminal entering

sudo rfkill unblock all
Is there any difference in your wifi if you click on the icon in the tray, is it now enabled, see any networks? If not wait a few seconds then try toggling the networking and/or wireless on/off.

DalayL4MA
Level 1
Level 1

HP 655 brightness control fn keys

Post by DalayL4MA » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:01 pm

Hello, I have the same problem on my hp 655 (just brightness, not wi-fi). I solved it yesterday using informations in this topic (first 6 terminal commands and it was ok)... But then - after installing ATI drivers and Catalyst onto my system it is NOT working again and the advices from here are not working yet :x Is there an hope to fix it once again another way to gain the brightness control by fn keys?
Many many thanks everybody who can help.

Return to “Newbie Questions”