Something Strange With Mint 14 Maya

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
bustard
Level 1
Level 1

Something Strange With Mint 14 Maya

Post by bustard » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:18 pm

It installed ok and I had it looking the way I like, but there were two odd things, one of them an OS killer:

1. The partitions on my external drive are usually identified as:

/media/<long bunch of letters and numbers>

but with mint 14 they are identified as:

/media/<userid>/<long bunch of letters and numbers>

If that is the way it is supposed to be with mint 14, then not a big problem, though I would prefer the old way so my scripts do not have to be tweaked; but I have never seen it as far as I can remember in other distros. I was wondering if I goofed up something in the install.

2. When I open a terminal, I can not use it because the terminal never ends up with username@computer name:~$ showing, followed by the cursor. All it shows is a cursor and nothing happens when I enter something.

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Something Strange With Mint 14 Maya

Post by remoulder » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:49 pm

bustard wrote:Mint 14 Maya
Which is it Mint 14 or Maya, these are different versions?
bustard wrote:When I open a terminal
Was this a fresh install, are you trying to reuse your old home?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Return to “Newbie Questions”