No Root File System error

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
JasperMint
Level 1
Level 1

No Root File System error

Post by JasperMint »

Hi Linux folk,

I have read 54 posts (!) on this issue, but still can't find any advice which seem to apply to my case.

The background: MS have finally turned me with Windows 8, so I've decided to convert to LinuxMint. I have a new Dell Inspiron 15R, literally fresh out of packet. I have written the image file linuxmint-13-mate-dvd-64bit.iso to disk. Mint starts up successfully and runs well.

I wish to install just LinuxMint (no partitioning). Not sure if I have to uninstall Windows 8 somehow first? Reading the Mint manual, it does not seem so.

When I enter the 'install linux mint' icon the screens in order are:
-Welcome screen (select English)
-'For best results, please ensure...' (reminds me to check sufficient drive space etc)
-'Wireless' (asks if I want to connect to internet - not available so select no)
-Installation type

There are no intermediate screens.

The installation type panel has a range of buttons: 'new partition table' etc. None of these are active. At the bottom is a dropdown menu, by default reads '/dev/sdb'. There are no dropdown options. So, with no other options, I select 'Install Now'. This raises the error 'No root file system is defined - Please correct this from the partitioning menu'.

I am guessing there is something strange with how DELL partitioned the hard drive on my machine?

Any suggestions as to how I can fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Apologies - I do not have an internet connection (using a friends machine now)

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: No Root File System error

Post by remoulder »

Have a read through http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=117737 and the links pointed in it.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

JasperMint
Level 1
Level 1

Re: No Root File System error

Post by JasperMint »

Sadly, I can't get that far - I'm still stuck trying to install...

Return to “Newbie Questions”