A few problems...

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Fumbles
Level 1
Level 1

A few problems...

Post by Fumbles » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:10 am

I've just installed linux mint 14 and there are two things I can't figure out.

1). I have 3 hard drives in my computer. One is an SSD drive, one is for storage and the final one is for things that I download (I don't want to clog up my SSD drive).

Currently, I have to mount the storage and download drives manually by clicking their name through the file manager. Is there any way to get these drives to automount?

2). I can't seem to download anything via the terminal. When I run sudo apt-get I get:

name@Computer ~ $ sudo apt-get install banshee
name@Computer ~ $

which doesn't install anything. When I try sudo synaptic I get:

name@Computer ~ $ sudo synaptic

(synaptic:2669): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set_data: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(synaptic:2669): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(synaptic:2669): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
name@Computer ~ $

..and the synaptic windows box pops up for a second.

What's going wrong here? I could do this yesterday, but today it's going crazy.

If it helps, I had an error earlier where mintmenu crashed and I had the option of deleting the applet. This was really annoying since I couldn't shut the computer down (apart from pressing the on switch and staring at a blank screen).

Any help on either of these matters would be appreciated.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: A few problems...

Post by xenopeek » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:42 am

Yes, you'd make an entry in the /etc/fstab configuration file. Normally you would during installation of Linux Mint have configured a mount point for your second and third hard disk, and the installer would have taken care of setting up the /etc/fstab configuration.

First, you need to know the UUID of the extra hard disks you wish to automatically mount. Type the following in a terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo blkid
Are the second and third hard disk formatted for Linux or Windows? Depending on that the next steps would be different.

Fumbles
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fumbles » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:45 am

"Normally you would during installation of Linux Mint have configured a mount point for your second and third hard disk, and the installer would have taken care of setting up the /etc/fstab configuration."

I'm pretty sure I didn't get a message about this. The only one I got was along the lines "do you want to unmount the drives" with the options of "eject" and "don't eject".

Should I have clicked "don't eject"?

What I might do is completely reinstall the system. It might help with my other problem too.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:09 am

Sorry :D Let me rephrase that; "If you knew what you were doing, you would during installation of Linux Mint have selected to manually do your partitioning instead of selecting the default of letting the installer handle it. That way you could have configured a mount point for your second and third hard disk, and the installer would have taken care of setting up the /etc/fstab configuration."

I don't know what other problems you have, but adding an entry in /etc/fstab is easy if you have formatted your second and third hard disks as Linux filesystems. If they are Windows filesystems, then installer will not be able to configure /etc/fstab for you automatically. It will only do that for Linux filesystems IIRC. I'd not recommend reinstalling just for this, at least not until you clarify that. If you don't know the answer, please run the following command from the terminal and share the output here. You can copy text to/from the terminal, see its Edit menu.

Code: Select all

sudo parted -l

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:14 am

Fumbles wrote:can't seem to download anything via the terminal
After you have resolved the other issue, you may need to do a apt update && apt upgrade first.
Fumbles wrote:sudo synaptic
Synaptic is a gtk app and shouldn't be started this way, you would use gksu not sudo, however neither is necessary as It will ask you for the root p/w itself.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Fumbles
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fumbles » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:14 pm

After you have resolved the other issue, you may need to do a apt update && apt upgrade first.
I jumped right in and tried this. It worked like a charm!
Sorry Let me rephrase that; "If you knew what you were doing, you would during installation of Linux Mint have selected to manually do your partitioning instead of selecting the default of letting the installer handle it. That way you could have configured a mount point for your second and third hard disk, and the installer would have taken care of setting up the /etc/fstab configuration."
Darn, i've been using windows for a while so I was expecting the computer to do everything for me :D

When I run sudo parted -l I get:

name@computer ~ $ sudo parted -l
[sudo] password for name:
Model: ATA ST2000DL004 HD20 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 2000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 32.3kB 2000GB 2000GB primary ntfs boot

Model: ATA ST2000DL004 HD20 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 2000GB

1 32.3kB 2000GB 2000GB primary ntfs

Model: ATA OCZ-AGILITY3 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdc: 120GB

1 1049kB 112GB 112GB primary ext4
2 112GB 120GB 8519MB extended
5 112GB 120GB 8519MB logical linux-swap(v1)

name@computer ~ $

From a non-expert eye like mine, this doesn't look good. I'm seeing "msdos" at every partition table section.

Do you need any more information?

EDIT: When I run sudo blkid:

name@computer ~ $ sudo blkid
/dev/sda1: LABEL="Emmett Brown" UUID="325ED1F424F1D86E" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sdb1: LABEL="Marty McFly" UUID="67D9DC021485E3B3" TYPE="ntfs"
/dev/sdc1: UUID="a6781b21-8f26-4390-870d-c8d1e8effa3c" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sdc5: UUID="9486d925-670a-4c54-972e-dca7ff9b9f73" TYPE="swap"

As you can see, I named my two hard drives after the two characters from BTTF. 8)

Fumbles
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fumbles » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:39 am

I managed to get it to work!

I followed the instruction from here:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=22093

I had to follow it through twice. Now I have two folders (Windows and Windows1) in my Home folder where EB and MM are mounted respectively.

Return to “Newbie Questions”