Why are the kernel updates marked dangerous?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
weirddan455
Level 1
Level 1

Why are the kernel updates marked dangerous?

Post by weirddan455 »

The kernel updates come from upstream Ubuntu right? And if I remember correctly, Ubuntu doesn't have the "levels" from safe to dangerous like Mint has right? So this kernel update would have been updated by default on thousands of Ubuntu 12.10 systems. What's the problem with it? And what about the base-files package? Also, doesn't a kernel update just add another line on GRUB so I can always boot into my current kernel if anything's wrong with the update? I've already installed these updates on a virtual machine but I'm a little more hesitant now that I've installed Mint directly to my PC.
update.png
update.png (193.7 KiB) Viewed 864 times
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Why are the kernel updates marked dangerous?

Post by xenopeek »

weirddan455 wrote:Also, doesn't a kernel update just add another line on GRUB so I can always boot into my current kernel if anything's wrong with the update?
If you are that confident with Linux, go ahead and enable level 4 and 5 upgrades in the Update Manager (see Edit > Preferences menu). I hope you can agree that users less experienced with Linux, or less technically savvy, wouldn't know how to do the above. So if a kernel upgrade introduces some new bug for their specific hardware, they would have a bad experience. I've detailed a bit why the kernel isn't upgraded by default on Linux Mint, here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 47#p590569
weirddan455
Level 1
Level 1

Post by weirddan455 »

Yea I can see how that may be a problem for new users. I'm just new to Mint, not to Linux in general. I actually came from Arch Linux so I'm used to getting my hands dirty with the command line if need be. I was mostly just asking if these updates came from Ubuntu, as I assume most of the packages in Mint do. Also, the way it's worded makes it sound like there is some specific bug in the update that's been identified and I would like to know what it is if that's the case.
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

The wording is a bit strong perhaps, but better safe than sorry.

You can use "apt-cache policy package-name"to see the source of a package. The kernels come from the Ubuntu repository.
eric k
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eric k »

Kernel updates can cause driver issues, and if those drivers happen to be your video drivers, it can be a pain to troubleshoot, especially for new users.

It's always a good idea to keep your previous kernel available should the new one give you trouble, so you're already using good habits.
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775, Xeon 3.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB DDR2-800, EVGA 8800GT, WD Caviar 250 GB SATA-2

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Crunchbang Waldorf, Mint 13 w/Cinnamon, Elementary Luna Beta, Puppy

Return to “Newbie Questions”