High Temperature problem

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deeniel

Re: High Temperature problem

Post by deeniel »

My bad english and my low pc knowledge didnt made me understood all xD so whats the problem with -128° i dont have any video proble, if i keep like this will be there any problem? else how can i i revert this last command then?
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

There isn't a problem, but if you try to monitor your GPU temperature, then it will always read -128°C. I think some mobile GPUs don't have temperature sensors, and yours could be one of them. I think that my 4870X2 always reads -128°C on the second chip.
What I meant by "The chip cannot work if it's -128°C," is that the minimum operating temperature of the GPU is above 0°C. It won't work below that temperature.
The rest of my post was actually the important information. I was just making sure you knew that the temperature sensor on your GPU was not working.

I don't think PowerXpress works with and Intel/ATI system. I know that I could never get it to work correctly with an ATI/ATI system (HD4200/HD5650M). It's been a year since I've used that laptop though since the screen died and the hinge broke.
Take a look at this Ubuntu forums post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1974521
You might try installing FGLRX directly from ATI, but be warned, I have broken my system doing it this way: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu ... tion_Guide
You might take a look at this Ubuntu forums post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1974521
I wish you luck. I know exactly how frustrating this is.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

OK, so this is a muxed hybrid laptop. AMD has already dropped support for muxed hybrid in their Linux driver long ago. You can however just put this in your /etc/rc.local file, to get the ATI GPU turned off every time you boot:

Code: Select all

echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
Usually only computers with a Radeon HD 4000 series or older GPU used this "muxed" technology.

@bigj231 Intel/ATI or AMD/ATI does not matter, both work in the "muxless" version. About the temperature sensor, that's probably just a driver bug. Any laptop card should have a sensor for fan control.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Beginner Questions”