10 Years Later, and Still a Noob

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rottenjohnny

10 Years Later, and Still a Noob

Post by rottenjohnny »

So, having ten years of trying to get Linux to work, I'm still stuck with the most basic of problems. I swear I LOVE the idea of Mint/Mate, and I LOVE having my random login screens back - and whoever made that happen, I'll kiss you on the mouth in front of your mother (joking, but I love that feature).

But I'm getting problems I just can't for the life of me solve, and I swear I've done due dilligence trying to solve them, and I'm a good ten years into some of them...

1- Mouse movement is so slow I'm still stuck doing the "xset m 9 1" thing at every login. This has been a problem throughout my experience with Linux/Ubuntu, and I was hoping Mint/Mate had it solved. This issue seems related to Number 3 below...

2- It seems Mint/Mate bogs down whenever different disk formats are used, like a usb hard drive with ntfs, and the ext4 thing on the Mint home partition/drive/disk. Trying to fix this, I just today tried to update to a more recent Linux kernel (failed worse than my prom night attempts), and I just can't keep spending hours hoping against hope that my efforts will somehow produce results. I don't mean to be the threatening kind, but this issue just kills the experience.

3- In trying to solve number 2, it seems that now Firefox no longer wishes to scroll at any pace beyond a line every week and a half, and that only if I give it a month and a half's notice (I'll grant that may be an FF problem, but that problem doesn't occur on the part of the drive that contains the OS that shall not be named) - but I'm still stuck with a horrendous scroll rate in any application, folder, or anything else that opens in Linux/Mint/Mate.

4- Background pictures on the desktop... Is there any way, short of going to college, or slaughtering kittens, to get the background picture to change to a random image, even if that random image is on a drive DIFFERENT than the one some random dude declares it's supposed to be on?

Please, if any of you can help me, please help. I advocate for Linux and Mint/Mate every chance I can, but these problems are starting to make me look stupider than I do myself.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mister A

Re: 10 Years Later, and Still a Noob

Post by Mister A »

What are the specs of your computer?
Inkit

Post by Inkit »

If you're not having any problems in your windows install, then check system monitor to find out what is consuming too much of your cpu and/or ram. That might possibly give you a clue to what the problem is with your install.
Also you can try other versions and see if they are more compatible. I personally for example prefer the LMDE spin, but I also accept that the boot and shutdown times are much faster on my Fedora 17 install.
00negative

Post by 00negative »

1. Did you change the mouse settings in the system settings to speed it up? Sounds basic but you didn't mention it. Also are you using a plug and play mouse or does your mouse require special drivers.

2. What type of USB port do you have ver 1, 2, 3? If you are on 1 in particular you aren't going to get great read/write performance due to hardware limitations

3. Not sure. Could be mouse driver related. There is a scroll setting within Firefox on how many lines to scroll though that you could try changing

4. Why not just copy the image to your pictures folder and choose it in your system settings/desktop settings and make life easy on your self.

Sounds like you are making it more difficult than it needs to be.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Return to “Beginner Questions”