Which Texlive package to install?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
elwc

Which Texlive package to install?

Post by elwc »

I'm coming from Windows and this is the first time I'm in Linux, Mint 14 x64 here. I used to use MikTeX and TexStudio to produce my documents in Windows. So I understand the difference between the LaTeX packages and the editor.

However, I think there is no MikTeX for Linux and I don't know which Texlive package to install from the Software Manager. textlive-latex-base, texlive-full, texlive, texlive-base, etc.

Hard disk space is not an issue. I want the most complete package. Is texlive-full complete, or do I need to install all of them?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mank_in

Re: Which Texlive package to install?

Post by mank_in »

I didn't use texlive. But if you want install something , i recommended you use synaptic package manager.
check this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synaptic_%28software%29

open synaptic package manager , search for texlive , on texlive , right mouse click : mark for instalation. it will automatically select another package required by text live .
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

If you install Teklive-full, you will have everything installed. It's 1 or 2 Gb of installation because it includes all the languages and help files... It's the easiest.
You can probably start with texlive-latex-extra and texlive for a minimal installation. Then look at the language file if you're not a native speaker. Greek language could be interesting too if you are going to write some math or physics.

I would recommend considering Tekmaker as editor.

Edit : if you're using Synaptic, by selecting texlive, Synaptic will choose all the dependencies you need to have it working.
elwc

Post by elwc »

Didn't know I have two software manager! Synaptic is great. Thanks guys!

Return to “Beginner Questions”